Point and Shoot Cameras

rob91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Do most of these have manual focusing options, or is that something that differs from product to product? The descriptions seem to prominently note the AF features but I definitely need something with manual.

Also, I notice the Canon G9 has raw capabilities, are there any other P&S with Raw or Raw equivalent capabilities? Thanks.

Oh, and what the hell, for 200-300, what do you all recommend as a good P&S? Looking for something with manual shooting modes, good zoom, manual focus, and something that looks like a P&S, ie not this http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSh...=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1206368934&sr=1-8

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Im pretty sure you wont find a p/s with manual focus.

Im pretty sure you wont find a p/s with manual focus.

There's actually quite a few with manual focus. I would assume the pricier cameras would have manual focus, while the cheaper ones designed for more casual shooters would only have auto.

Both the Kodak and Fuji "p&s's" I've owned had manual focus. They're a pain to use though.

Just an off topic question... why do you want a camera that specifically does not look like an SLR?

Some of them have 'manual focus'...but you have to use the scroll/direction buttons on the camera, rather than turning a lens barrel...so it's a rather awkward system.

Some of the SLR-like cameras may have a more traditional manual focus...but I don't know if that's true or which ones.

If you haven't, check out www.dpreview.com
They list most digital cameras and their specs.

There's actually quite a few with manual focus. I would assume the pricier cameras would have manual focus, while the cheaper ones designed for more casual shooters would only have auto.

Both the Kodak and Fuji "p&s's" I've owned had manual focus. They're a pain to use though.

Can you let me know which Kodak have the manual focus? I have the Kodak Z710 and I haven't found it yet.

Just an off topic question... why do you want a camera that specifically does not look like an SLR?

Easier to carry and less conspicuous.

Oh and thanks Mike, dpreview has an incredible search engine to find cameras.

Do most of these have manual focusing options, or is that something that differs from product to product? The descriptions seem to prominently note the AF features but I definitely need something with manual.

Also, I notice the Canon G9 has raw capabilities, are there any other P&S with Raw or Raw equivalent capabilities? Thanks.

Oh, and what the hell, for 200-300, what do you all recommend as a good P&S? Looking for something with manual shooting modes, good zoom, manual focus, and something that looks like a P&S

Manual modes are not common on compact cameras. The Canon A720 IS has everything on your list. It has all the usual point & shoot features and more: Aperture, shutter & manual modes, pocketable, 6X zoom (35-210mm), manual focus, 2.5" LCD, optical viewfinder, image stabilization, ISO 80 to 1600 (yes, 1600 is noisy), flash synch & levels, custom white balance. Image quality is comparable to the G9. Raw is not available from Canon but can be added along with some extra features by loading the CHDK hack. Flash recycle times are kind of slow due to the use of two AA batteries, but I consider AA's the best power for a pocket camera.

Everything mentioned above is also available on the slightly larger slightly pricier A650 IS. It's bigger because it uses 4AA's for faster flash recycle times. It also features a swivel and tilt LCD. The sensor is bigger but because it's stuffed with 12 mega pixels, IQ is pretty much equal to the 720.

Another camera to look at, which I'm not too familiar with but looks interesting, is the Fujifilm FinePix E900 (4X zoom). It has a large sensor for a p&s. It appears to be larger than the 720, and still with the 2 AA's.

Good luck with your search.

Easier to carry and less conspicuous.

Oh and thanks Mike, dpreview has an incredible search engine to find cameras.

DP Review is a great resource but the database has some errors in it. I've seen at least three cameras that are incorrectly specified, including the Canon A720 and A650 which are shown not to have manual modes when they actually do.

Most reactions

Back