Point and Shoot for low light, anyone?

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want do downsize a bit and carry something small, with fast focus and great image quality - what do you recommend? The low light aspect would be also important for nighttime photos.

At the moment i am eyeing the Fuji X100s and the Ricoh GR. What do you think of these? Oh by the way, i am open for any other suggestions. Thanks.

I think the Sony RX series also worth take a look. (1 inch or full frame sensor in a p&s body)

The Fuji X100s might just be the best $1,300 point and shoot around. I'd LOVE to have one. The Ricoh has rec'd some good reviews from people who have bought it, and it's available in a few different incarnations. I think the Fuji's image quality is better though, and it's a different "kind" of machine too.

Forgive me but low light point and shoot is a contradiction of terms.

I think the Sony RX series also worth take a look. (1 inch or full frame sensor in a p&s body)

I'm gonna second this. Looks like the RX series is producing some pretty good images at high ISOs with little/no noise.

Forgive me but low light point and shoot is a contradiction of terms.

Not really. Here is the $2798 full frame Sony RX1 pocket camera at ISO4000 (photo by Marc A. Garrett):

$8383906606_e627fb906c_z.jpg

This was taken at ISO1600 with the $748 1" sensor Sony RX100 II (photo by Mark D. Baynham):

$9698389865_44b705367a_z.jpg

And this was taken at ISO3200 with its predecessor, the $598 Sony RX100 (photo by Tom O'Donoghue):

$7850249716_87e2eb3aae.jpg

These cameras outperform the Fuji X100S and the Ricoh GR in both resolution and low light - and the 1" cameras cost less.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Two more options are the Canon G15 or G16 and the Canon G1 X

1.I own the Canon G15 which was just recently replaced by the G16.
The 2 strong points of this camera in low light is that I use it as high as 3200ISO with very impressive results and the lens is very fast 1.8-2.8 so in most cases you are not even reaching to this high ISO. The G16 just replaced the G15, it has pretty much same hardware but few minor additions so both very much the same so go with the one that is most affordable.
2.Canon G1 X is a bigger camera and has a bigger sensor so you can use even higher ISO but it does has a much slower lens so I would recommend staying with the G15 or G16

Fuji 100s is not a point and shoot camera. Neither is Sony RX1

I think this falls in the category of "two people separated by a common language". From the "Name Confusion" section of the "Point and Shoot Camera" entry on Wikipedia:

"The terms "point and shoot" and "compact camera" are used differently in different parts of the world. In the UK point-and-shoot predominantly means a fully automatic camera, regardless of size or shape. A "compact camera" on the other hand, has a small body, regardless of any fully automatic capabilities. Thus a DSLR can have point-and-shoot modes, and some compact cameras are not designed for point and shoot operation, with the equivalent controls to a DSLR.
The use of "point-and-shoot" to mean a small or compact camera regardless of automation capabilities has long been predominant in the US, and in the 21st century it began spreading elsewhere."
Point-and-shoot camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i got that Ricoh GR and i absolutely LOVE it. it has amazing b/w setting out the box, super fast, works great at night, just what i wanted!

Congratulations, hope you enjoy it! Please post pictures when you can.

Best,

Bill

i got that Ricoh GR and i absolutely LOVE it. it has amazing b/w setting out the box, super fast, works great at night, just what i wanted!

I actually never heard of this camera so I took a quick look at it and read a review, looks like a very interesting and capable camera which I am sure you will be very happy with.
Congrats and enjoy it :)

Heres a few shots i took today..

$R0000594.jpg$R0000597.jpg$R0000634.jpg

This one was from last night:

$R0000278.jpg

Photos havent been touched so like i said, i love how they come out the box. I just need to figure all of the great stuff out.

Most reactions

Back