Point of focus is off or blurry...

afliegs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lately, I've been trying to shoot more in the manual modes of my camera (Canon T3i). I've been experimenting mainly in P and AV modes, but have also tried TV and M. I'm having some issues getting focus exactly where I want it or even perfect focus at all. I've been shooting with the Canon 50mm 1.8 mostly and shooting closeup pictures of my 4 month old daughter. Most of these portraits have been indoors using natural light, autofocus and no tripod (not easy to set up shots with a 4 year old, although I guess it's a lot easier than it will be when she starts moving around more). A

I'm trying to figure out whether the issue is camera shake due to the exposure time OR could it be that my aperture is too low and the depth of field too small that I'm not hitting the focus just right. When I shoot with P, I usually try to set the ISO as low as possible to get at least 1/50 shutterspeed or faster. If I'm shooting in AV mode, I set the aperture as open as possible to get background blur. But, as I said, my point of focus has been somewhat blurry in most of my portraits.

I'm new to this forum and will try to post some pictures soon that show what I'm trying to talk about. I know this is a pretty general question and my focus issue is probably specific to the situations that I shoot in, but just trying to get some advice. Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
The DOF is probably too short, but you don't have to focus using only your eyes, half-press the shutter release button and see if the focus confirmation beeps or not.

I guess I should probably pay more attention on the shutterspeed while taking photos. I've read that 1/50 or 1/60 is the slowest shutterspeed to use while hand holding the camera. Would you agree? I guess if my shutterspeed seems to be fast enough and I'm still having issues, then my DOF is probably too short.

I guess I should probably pay more attention on the shutterspeed while taking photos. I've read that 1/50 or 1/60 is the slowest shutterspeed to use while hand holding the camera. Would you agree? I guess if my shutterspeed seems to be fast enough and I'm still having issues, then my DOF is probably too short.
It depends on the focal length of the lens.

The rule of thumb to minimize camera shake is 1/lens focal length. So if you have a 50 mm lens, or a zoom set to 50 mm, the rule says you need 1/50 as the minimum shutter speed. If you are using a 200 mm focal length you need a minimum shutter speed of 1/200.

If the subject matter is moving it's a different deal. Most action shots need 1/500. A person walking at an unhurried pace might be stopped at 1/250.

There isn't a set relationship between shutter speed and sharpness. it essentially comes down to how steady your hand is, how still your subject is, how long your focal length is and how fast your shutter speed is. Any of these variables can affect the sharpness, regardless of what the other variables are like.

I am not sure if you don't understand this, or you just misspoke, but you want a higher ISO for faster shutter speeds, not a lower ISO. ISO 400 allows quicker shutter speeds for the same exposure than ISO 100.

I would guess like said above it is prob too short a DOF. Bump the ISO to 400 or 800 and step down some. Also try upping the shutter speed some by increasing the ISO and you can by process of elimination figure it out.

Also, post a pic and we can probably tell you what the issue is.

I'll try to post a picture later tonight. Thanks for the replies!

Is there any way the auto focusing of the camera could be off? Sometimes, I swear that I auto focus on my daughter's face (eyes) and then when I check later during post processing, a toy or blanket in front of her will be in focus and her face will be slightly blurry.

Is there a simple way to check the auto focusing of my camera?

Thanks!

Is there any way the auto focusing of the camera could be off? Sometimes, I swear that I auto focus on my daughter's face (eyes) and then when I check later during post processing, a toy or blanket in front of her will be in focus and her face will be slightly blurry.

Thanks!

are you using point based auto focusing or is the camera deciding the focus point?

Thanks!

are you using point based auto focusing or is the camera deciding the focus point?

I'm using the AF point selection focusing and not letting the camera do it.

I just got this camera about a month ago. With my previous Rebel, I never had any focusing issues, but I was mainly shooting in auto. Still, sometimes I swear the point selection focusing is off.

You need to look through the viewfinder and see what object it is focusing on

Try F2.8 shoot from about 10 feet away. Iso 800. Daylight all the windows open.
Single point focus, but put it on continuous focus so as you or your subject move the camera will track the movement and stay in focus.
Hold the focus on the inside of her near eye...as much as possible. Hold the shutter half way down and track her...when she stops and the shot is there...click it.
If this doesn't work you may have a front or back focus issue.

Side note...choose one mode and learn to use it. Aperture priority will do everything you need and speed up your learning curve.
You can branch out to the others later if you feel the need.

Most reactions

Back