Polaris flash meter troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Lighting and Hardware' started by JustJazzie, Jan 1, 2018.

1. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    But it was a nice camera.
    Maybe sell the backup camera for a new Meter ?? :eek-73: :eek-new:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Not sure... this is $50 from Roberts Minolta Auto Meter IIIF Light Meter Flash/Ambient #346 | eBay

I re-read your OP, where you wrote [with punctuation added by me for clarity]: "if I turn my flash up to full power, at ISO 100, it is giving me an F stop, when I turn the flash power down and increase my ISO to meet the same exposure Then re-measuring, the meter it is not recognizing the flash output at all."

Okay, so, you're increasing the ISO on the flash meter? AND lowering the flash output?

it's possible that the Polaris meter can NOT read flash pops at higher ISO levels...

It was never a high-end meter...you might be outside the metering threshold of the flash; it might NOT be able to meter a 1/8 power flash pop with the meter set at ISO 1600, in the same way it could meter a full-power flash burst with the meter set to ISO 100.

It might not be able to meter flash that is weak, and, or, when it is set to ISO 1,600.

I do not know.

With low-power flash, like say 1/16 power, at distances of say 8 to 15 feet, that flash pop very well might not be strong enough to be metered by the Polaris.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Is this your Polaris? Polaris Flash Meter instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

You're not accidentally in multi-flash metering mode are you?

The metering range they list is at ISO 100. It is possible that this flash meter was not designed to meter flash pops at higher ISO levels. Not everything has fully-modern, state of the art electronics. It's possible the meter is defective/broken; but, and I have encountered this before many times with old-fashioned meters; there is a finite limit of ALL meters (ambient and flash) where one, or more of the parameters, is actually outside the measuring thresholds of the device! We do not see this issue all that often, today, but the Polaris meter might have been built using 1980's technology in its silicon. At ISO 100, it is supposed to read flash pops from EV 1 to EV 19.9 levels, and from f/2.0 to f/90...buuuut, there is NO GUARANTEE that the meter offers total reciprocity of readings as the ISO level goes above 100!! Nor is there a "guarantee" that the meter offers reciprocity of exposure readings as the flash power gets below a certain baseline level that would give an f/2.0 to f/90 reading at ISO 100; in other words, it's VERY possible that low-powered flashes can NOT be read at any significant distance...and also that high-powered flash pops can not be metered if their intensity would give a reading that is above the meter's range at closer distances, if the meter is set at ISO levels above 100.

I've had older cameras, and older reflected light meters, where it's necessary to "convert" the figures manually, on paper or in my head, in order to overcome finite metering range or ISO or shutter time or f/stop limitations. Mostly this comes when there is an Eu warning (an under-exposure warning), which serves as a signal that the device can not, for whatever reason, meter a "dim or dark" light level, but I've also had this issue with too-powerful flash pops from too close!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I have that same meter, what do you want me to test?

5. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Quick look at the User Guide mentions: "The meter may not sense the flash if it is weaker than the ambient light. If this happens, switch to corded flash mode."
    Note sure if that is applicable in your situation ...