Polarizer on the way

lvcrtrs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looks like I'm going to keep running in to water critters. Hopefully a polarizing filter will get me to see the critters better without the glare.

Frogcrop5x7sharp200resized.jpg

2. Northern Water Snake
NorthernWaterSnakeresized.jpg

Fishresized.jpg

Getting down closer to being level (as much as you can) to the water should cut some of the glare out. I think I have used my polarizing filter one or twice in three years, they really do not help too much.

Paulk, thanks for the tip, fish and frogs maybe but not the snakes ;). I don't know what's poisonous until I send the pics to a friend of mine who works at a nature center.

Getting down closer to being level (as much as you can) to the water should cut some of the glare out. I think I have used my polarizing filter one or twice in three years, they really do not help too much.

:meh: You must not be using your polarizer properly then my man. They work wonders for glare.

:meh: You must not be using your polarizer properly then my man. They work wonders for glare.

Please show us some examples.

Good work catching the snake! Aside from the water reflections the shots look good and solid! A low angle does help, but often its just not possible and your right to not get close to unknown snakes

I agree with Do - remember that circulr polarizer has to be turned to best effect position otherwise it won't work at full effect. The only downside is that it does make the viewfinder image darker - AF helps a lot.

a quick comparison with minimal editing (since I shoot raw so it has to have some)

Without Polarizer
a bit of the shine can be hidden with increasing the blacks, though I left them mostly alone since the reflection effect is still present
IMG_0228.jpg

With Polarizer
IMG_0225.jpg

I agree with Do - remember that circulr polarizer has to be turned to best effect position otherwise it won't work at full effect. The only downside is that it does make the viewfinder image darker - AF helps a lot.

If you all can wait until next weekend, I will do some unbiased test shots with and without a polarizer (unbiased meaning that I will try my hardest to use it correctly).

I think people should try all of the alternatives before going out and spending money on something they may not necessarily need.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back