Polarizer suggestions

Photog38

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like to get a circular polarizer, but I'm not sure which one. I don't want a cheap one, but I don't want to spent too much more than $100 either. Also, I'm not sure what size to get. If I get a 67mm for my current lens, and then in the future I get a larger lens, I'd have to get another polarizer to fit that lens. Should I get a larger filter (like 77mm) and use step-up rings? This would cost more, but I would probably be able to use the same filter for almost any lens I would ever own. Any suggestions?:confused:

I have one for every lens I own. Get one for the lens you currently own and worry about a larger one when you upgrade your lens. Mine were more than a $100 each but if I am willing to buy a good lens and as others have said why put a cheap piece of glass over such an expensive lens. And if you don't know what lens you are going to buy it is sort of hit and miss with buying a larger one and you may end up having to buy one for your new lens anyway. Work with your current lens and worry about the next lens polarizer when you get the next lens.

I agree with CanadianMe - if you spend big $$ on your lens, don't settle for cheaper filter. One word of advice I've heard is to get multi-coated polarizers - typically better optical quality. I just picked up a B+W multi-coated circular polarizer for my 18-200VR lens and I'm amazed by the build and optical quality of this lens. Now, it was a little more than your figure (I think it was in the $125 range), but excellent filter. Remember that you can always buy a filter that fits your largest lens and buy step-up rings to step down to your smaller diameter lens.

I have one for every lens I own. Get one for the lens you currently own and worry about a larger one when you upgrade your lens. Mine were more than a $100 each but if I am willing to buy a good lens and as others have said why put a cheap piece of glass over such an expensive lens. And if you don't know what lens you are going to buy it is sort of hit and miss with buying a larger one and you may end up having to buy one for your new lens anyway. Work with your current lens and worry about the next lens polarizer when you get the next lens.

Yeah, what he said and...
using a step-up ring will prevent you from using a hood.

I agree with CanadianMe - if you spend big $$ on your lens, don't settle for cheaper filter. One word of advice I've heard is to get multi-coated polarizers - typically better optical quality. I just picked up a B+W multi-coated circular polarizer for my 18-200VR lens and I'm amazed by the build and optical quality of this lens. Now, it was a little more than your figure (I think it was in the $125 range), but excellent filter. Remember that you can always buy a filter that fits your largest lens and buy step-up rings to step down to your smaller diameter lens.

I went even further. I bought the same lens and got a Hoya "Pro-1" polarizer for US$172.50!

By the way, my first two week of experimenting shows that the lens is well worth the price. I'll get a bit more serious tomorrow.

What brands are good? I'm guessing Hoya and B+W are pretty good. Multi-coated is best, right?

What brands are good? I'm guessing Hoya and B+W are pretty good. Multi-coated is best, right?

Hoya is excellent. Their top of the line is the "Pro-1" series. I've been told that B+W is also excellent but I can't speak from experience.

Multicoated is not the "best" way to go - it's the only way to go. Without multicoating, you're inviting flare and lots of it. If you can't afford a multicoated filter, you can't afford a filter.

I also have the HOYA PRO1 Polarizer, and it is excellent quality. My only nit, more like MAJOR annoyance, is that the thread ring is so freakin' thin, once I get the polarizer on the lens, I can't grip it to get the bastard back off. :x

I had to go out and pick up a filter wrench, which, albiet small & lightweight, is just another thing that has to go in the bag.

I have one for every lens I own.

Luckily, both of my lenses are 77mm, so only one filter needed in the bag....

I personally went as far as to buy 2 stepup rings that go to my biggest lens' filter diameter. Now all of my lenses can be stepped up to one single size. So If I need to buy any filter, I just buy one filter at one size, albeit a bigger size. :)

EDIT: and if you're buying from Ebay, resist the urge to buy one of those crazy-cheap filters from China. They're awful! They don't even thread properly, nevermind their image quality.

The best polarizing filters are Kaeseman Circular Polarizers. They are also not cheap. That is why I own a single 77mm filter and use step up rings. When using a polarizing filter I don't worry about a hood. My hand, hat, or white balance target held above the lens if necessary accomplishes the same thing for cutting out any direct sunlight on the filter.

This was my personal choice as it in constructed with brass rather than aluminum. I have never had a brass fitted filter get stuck on a lens.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._707743_77mm_Kaeseman_Circular_Polarizer.html

B&W also makes a fine filter:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/95042-REG/B_W_65016520_77_mm_Kaeseman_Circular.html

At these prices I am definately not buying one for each lens.

Just remember, if you are buying a polariser make sure it is a circular polariser. Linear polarisers don't work too well with autofocus lenses...

Just remember, if you are buying a polariser make sure it is a circular polariser. Linear polarisers don't work too well with autofocus lenses...

I'm surprised that linears are still available. As far as I'm aware there isn't a single camera available that can focus and meter properly with a linear.

I'm surprised that linears are still available. As far as I'm aware there isn't a single camera available that can focus and meter properly with a linear.

true, the vast majority I have seen are linears, but I think you can still get them somewhere. Anyway, it's best to specify circular, just to make sure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back