Polarizing Filter Fell Apart

rmh159

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was out shooting maybe a month ago and had a polarizer on the lens with a cokin graduated neutral density filter on top of it. I was turning the polarizer to the right position as well as the neutral density filter when the polarizer fell apart in my hand. The two metal rings of the polarizer separated and I caught the metal o-ring thing that sits between them as well so nothing was actually damaged aside from the two rings separating.

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm a little concerned about muscling the two rings back together being that there's glass in one of them but at this point it's not exactly usable anyway. Any suggestions? I'd like to attempt a fix before dropping more $$$ on a new filter.

For those that are curious I can't remember the brand of the filter but it cost around $100 and wasn't used too often or in an crazy circumstances that I would've thought to cause it falling apart. No idea why it happened.

If it's me, I'd try crimping it back together with some pliers and something soft and non abrasive between the jaws and polarizer. Go easy, it's thin metal and if you apply too much pressure, you risk deforming the threads.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back