Polarizing filter

Kimbalina81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What is the purpose of a polarizing filter? Would it be useful for shooting a wedding midday, which I am expecting to be sunny with no cloud cover? The outdoor ceremony is around 11a.m., so I am expecting to take pictures between around 9ish and afterwards.

K

The main uses for a polarizing filter are to reduce glare on non-metallic surfaces and to enhance hue and saturation, especially in whites and blues. A polarizer will have it's greatest effect when the sun is low in the sky, and at or near 90 degrees to the lens axis.

This image is taken without a polarizing filter. This one, with a polarizing filter, under optimal conditions for maximum effect. Note the increased saturation and deeper blue of the sky.

I would definitely have the filter with me, but depending on the time of day, and circumstances, it's effect may be limited. It will also block about one stop of available light.

Thanks! Can I keep the filter on the lens at all times just in case- will the filter just not have an effect if the sun is not low in the sky and not at or near 90 degrees? I basically want to ensure that I don't have to move around a lot of equipment (take filter off, put it on, etc.).

K

The filter will block light, so even in situations where it doesn't have any noticeable affect, it's is still causing you to get more exposure (probably a longer shutter speed).

Also, polarizing filters can cause skin to look a little weird in some situations. Some like it, some don't mind and some really hate it.

Good explanation, Tirediron.
How about this picture I took recently? It was a heavy cloudy day. I just realized the lack of saturation.
Should I have a CPL on my len? The CPL will reduce the flare of the sky and water, and stand out the reflection on the water.

6307921855_97b3db2598_b.jpg
[/URL] DSC_0236 by RichardsFlik, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thanks

The CPL would definitely have removed glare from the water, making it more saturated and allowing you to see the bottom more clearly (I can see a hint of a tree so the water is clear...). As far as the sky, it probably would not have changed anything. You really need an grad ND here as well.

Richards, a CPL would have helped to increase saturation, and may have produced a more pleasing sky, BUT it would also have reduced the strength of the reflection in the water (water being a non-metallic surface).

Most reactions

Back