What's new

Poor Little Pooch.

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
4,057
Reaction score
230
Location
Baltimore
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all. Thought you might enjoy these. C&C always welcome and appreciated!

Nikon D300s
Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 AT-X Pro DX

1
DSC_4774BW.jpg


2
DSC_4774VD.jpg


Please comment!
Mark
 
Also, I'd love your input on which you like better so I can put it on my JPG.

Thanks,
Mark
 
The only thing I don't find appealing, is the grass coming out of it's ear.
 
I'll take that as a compliment. If you can only find one thing unappealing, that's good on my account. If you don't like that, you really wouldnt have liked the big blue ball in the adjacent yard and the stroller wheels to the right of him. (:

Mark
 
Yeah, I like the image. Many would give you flack for shooting down on it, and not on it's level. Doesn't bother me on this one.
 
I wanted to shoot it like this. I planned it out this way. I think it kind of gives perspective. Not only by the UWA lens, but because I think his puppy-dog eyes (terrible pun intended) kind of show you his emotions. When I picture a sad dog, besides the ones in those sad ASPCA commercials, this is how I picture them. I was kind of hoping to capture that well.

Mark
 
Fixed.

DSC_4774BW-1.jpg


Mark
 
I like the b/w version. I wonder if you need the grass verge on the righthand side - maybe see how it looks with that cropped out? As for the angle, I like the way he is looking up at the camera, he has a very expressive face so I think it works. :thumbup:
 
Hi i am gunna tell ya what i think i am new to all this so i would take what i say with a pinch of salt.

I like the angle of the photo, i understand that good practice is to get on your subjects level but in this photo it works.

There is only one point i would alter and this is being quite picky. That is i can see you in his left eye.
 
Haha, I'm not going to fix me being in his eye. :lol:

Thank you both!
Mark
 
Yeah, I like the image. Many would give you flack for shooting down on it, and not on it's level. Doesn't bother me on this one.

I personally think those that would give such flack on this photo would be those who have learnt the rule, but not yet learnt how to break/best use the rule in itself. Looking down, to me, is a key part of this photo and the appearance, just as the use of the wide angle lens and perspective is as well.

As for which version, I'd say the black and white is the stronger of the two without question - though I'd temper that by saying also that the BW version appears to have more muted/less blown white fur around the majority of the dog over the colour version (though I'm open to that just being some funky eye association quirk if in the case that there is no actual difference in the whites).
 
Yeah, I like the image. Many would give you flack for shooting down on it, and not on it's level. Doesn't bother me on this one.

I personally think those that would give such flack on this photo would be those who have learnt the rule, but not yet learnt how to break/best use the rule in itself. Looking down, to me, is a key part of this photo and the appearance, just as the use of the wide angle lens and perspective is as well.

As for which version, I'd say the black and white is the stronger of the two without question - though I'd temper that by saying also that the BW version appears to have more muted/less blown white fur around the majority of the dog over the colour version (though I'm open to that just being some funky eye association quirk if in the case that there is no actual difference in the whites).

Thank you for that. You said what I couldnt find the words to express.

And as for the whites, I thought the same thing! But I didn't do anything with them between the color and the BW versions. I thought it was just me! I may have to do something about that.

Thanks again Overread. It's always nice hearing from you.
Mark
 
I like the b&w more because the pooch already has a lack of color in his coat. The green grass draw a me away. I think a lil "selective" coloring may work. Leave the dog in color and de-saturate the rest of the photo to near black and white.
 
Thank you, I'll give that some thought.

Mark
 
I too think the pov is spot on for the image. Definitely captured the character of the dog.

I wish the fence wasnt there. But thats nitpicking. Love the pup, looks like a real sweetie.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom