Pop-up flash diffussers

Deimodius

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm wondering here if anyone can direct me to a good flash diffuser for my on-camera (Oly E-500) pop-up flash.

I've seen retail ones like the LumiQuest (http://www.lumiquest.com/), and I've seen some interesting DIY versions using all sorts of materials.

What is the best route to go (and please don't say dedicated external/hot shoe strobe/flash; I can't afford it right now).

Thanks!

That Lumiquest product is as good as any that I've seen.

I've seen and read tips for 'diffusing' the on camera flash. I've even tried the one where you cut a slot into an a plastic film canister. The problem with many of those is that if you don't actually make the light source bigger, you aren't really making the light any softer...you are just blocking some of it...and those built in flashes aren't very powerful so blocking them is hurting their performance.

What is the best route to go (and please don't say dedicated external/hot shoe strobe/flash; I can't afford it right now).
If you can't afford a hot shoe flash, then don't waste your money an a diffuser for the pop up flash. Save your money until you can afford a proper flash. You could even get something cheaper like a Sunpak or something...anything that will allow you to bounce the light.

I bought a Sunpak flash as a backup to my Canon flash. The model number is in my sig(can't remember), but it retails for $100, but I'm sure you could find it cheaper(got mine for $60). It takes forever to recharge, but it bounces.

The D200 as any on camera flash would struggle to flash with a diffuser on it. They do chew up a lot of light which is one of the reasons they are mainly made for higher powered dedicated speedlights. In certain conditions even my SB-800 struggles when I use a diffuser.

Most reactions

Back