Porfolios - Bound Paper Book or iPad

An excellent discussion to start. I'm in this exact dillema right now. I go to client meetings and I've recently been asked a lot more often to see my work in person. Up until now, my website has been sufficient, but I'm wanting to show something in person and I want to see their reactions to my images. (Obviously, I don't have an actual studio, so a large screen TV or projector isn't an option at this point...although optimal)

With the iPad 3 coming out within the next week (retina display for hi-res, crisp images) it's looking like a VERY good investment. I wasn't happy with the iPad 1&2's displays because they looked like what can be found on the web anywhere. Good, but not as good as print.

So now the issue becomes, spend the money on a printed portfolio that needs to be updated/reprinted at regular intervals (smaller chunks of $$, but more often) or get the iPad 3 and have the ability to update/change portfolio pictures at will (bigger upfront cost, maybe offsets the ease of use and pays for it self over time?)

I'm strongly leaning toward the iPad 3 because it can be used for a myriad of other tasks as well, thus further off setting the cost. (Contracts in .PDF form, website/in-person ordering, and personal use of the iPad)

Those are my thoughts, and I haven't settled on one just yet, so I'd like to see where this goes.

I believe there is something to be said for the physicality of an actual print. Something that they can hold in there hands, and feel with their fingers.
On the other hand, there is the 'wow' factor with shiny new technology like an iPad.

I think a good idea would be to use both. Have some physical print samples, whether it's a book or just prints, but then show them your whole portfolio on the iPad.

I have both, but the actual in your hand printed portfolio is more of a WOW factor when put together professionally. When you have a print portfolio it's not exclusive of a digital portfolio, but a digital portfolio can be exclusive of a printed one.
Another thing about printed portfolios-there are flaws you learn to see in print that you wouldn't notice so much on the computer. Such as large areas of black don't draw the eye so much on the computer but in print they suck the eye right in and can totally ruin a great photograph. In order to be accurately seeing your work you should print often to be sure you are catching little flaws like that.

Wow, no tree -huggers are wound up yet
bigthumb.gif

When I call on a new client, it's for product and industrial work. What works best for me is to bring copies of the finished printed piece (brochures, catalogs, sell sheets, etc.).

It not only shows my work, but is a sort of client list too. And, the prospective client likes seeing how the images were used.

-Pete

I use an iPad.

Paid for itself pretty quick. Not only do I use it to show potential clients, but I also use it to show proofs. That way I save on printing costs on two fronts, and I have control on what kind of a screen they see it on. Also, since the iPad projects, if i'm in a dark space nobody has any trouble seeing the photos, vs seeing a printed portfolio in say..a dark coffee shop.

Than we go over the contract, and I ring them up on it too. It's pretty slick. I might print a portfolio in a few years once I have a more cohesive body of work, but for now the iPad is a much more sensible option considering you can constantly update it with loads of new content at no additional cost.

When iPads were first coming out, calibration (and thus accuracy) was an issue. I see now that color calibration devices/companies have apps to work with them, so that is a positive.

Well a book would not run out of charge. Just saying. There is also something appealing about flipping through a book of images as opposed to slides on a digital monitor.

I use an ipad and so far it has worked really well. Not only is it easy to customize lots of different groups of 10-15 images depending on what subjet I want to show, but its back lit for added vibrance (and I dont have to worry about being in a poorly lit space). The color profile hasnt been a problem if I save in srgb. I can run my Square account off it. I have also used it as a running slide show during art fairs.

I think it comes down to personal taste, for me, I like the tech.

Well a book would not run out of charge. Just saying.

From Apple

To maximize battery life, Apple engineers took the same lithium-polymer battery technology they developed for Mac notebook computers and applied it to the iPad. As a result, you can use iPad for up to 10 hours while surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching videos, or listening to music. While surfing the web on a 3G data network (Wi-Fi + 3G model), you can get up to 9 hours of battery life.

If you have a 10 hour client proofing session, I think you've got other issues than your iPad's battery life.

I still have my ipad with me where ever I go. I have custom brochures I give out with samples on it. I recently switched to only selling matted prints so I bought a custom printed folio box with matted 8x10 prints as my official portfolio I show people at consultations. I like showing them the quality of what they are investing in. For weddings I have a wedding portfolio in an album so they can see what kind of album I include. Ipads are great, don't get me wrong, but I like to show samples of my work in the same format that they are buying. To each their own.

Most reactions

Back