Portrait Attempt

Dillard

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My girl friend has been wanting me to take some pictures for christmas gifts, so I figured I'd try to get some practice!

Let me know what y'all think, all C&C are welcome!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I really like them both. The catch lights in the eyes, the crisp eyes. Composition-wise, I like the second one. The colors are warmer and that appeals to me.

The first one is my fav... But something about the comp is bugging me... I just can't decide what it is... Pretty girl though! The second one the WB seems way to yellow IMO... Good work though!

Is your girlfriend wearing a wedding ring? ;)

I agree that the second photo looks too warm - I like the warm look but it could probably be pulled back a bit. The first shot... the angle of the head makes this look very casual - almost like street photography, like you just walked up and said, "Hey can I take your picture?" to some random person. The technical bits all work just fine, it's just the pose that doesn't quite work for me as a "portrait."

thanks guys! I agree with the warm look, maybe a little much

and about the ring...as the lady as sales said, "It's a 'I really like you' ring" haha. We've been dating for almost four years and are both in college. So marriage has to wait till after the med school acceptance letter and some sort of income

Great pictures! Love the perspective and DOF!

Thanks! I'm still learning more every day, and can always look back and see things I should have done different, but heck thats half the fun of it!

These are pretty good. Just the small white balance issue that can be fixed easily in post. One suggestion on number 2. i love this pose but try not to clip the knees. Get the top of her head closer to the top of the frames and get all of her in the frame.

Beautiful girl, nice work! I agree that #2 is a bit too warm, then again, redheads lend themselves to that kind of warmth. I would emphasize the color of her gorgeous hair by adjusting the saturation non-globally, while adjusting the white balance globally to a bit cooler.

I prefer the second picture for the following reasons
1) The colour is much better represented - the white balance is significantly better than the first picture
2) Skin tone look better, and perspective suggests a more playful picture
3) Are you sure she's just your gf? she has a rock on her left hand ;)

Only piece of advice would be to study some fine art books on composition.

A couple of rules for portraiture that are used by pros. Always shoot at the eye level of the subject. Don't shoot down from a higher camera angle. Watch your background to avoid visual distractions from the pretty eyes of your girlfriend. Lastly body parts should not be cut off at the joints ie. knees or be too close to the edge of the frame such as arms or elbows.

skieur

The angles these are taken from is a bit weird to my eyes, and the white balance is a bit off I think.

However you have a beautiful girlfriend who you say is willing to be your model, get snapping!! I really look forward to some more.

Most reactions

Back