Portrait C&C.

Tigertail

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is the first person outside of my circle of friends I have taken photos of! I have a few more to add and will will do so once when I get back home later tonight. Any C&C would be most appreciated. I'm wondering how I did at getting him to pose. He wasn't that experienced and it took a few attempts. I noticed his face was most flattering when photographed head on. If you have anything to add to that please do!

Thanks!

img6479modjpg.jpg

Last edited:
Seems soft to me, and the lighting is harsh. The background is reallllyyy not helping either.

I like the pose, but I think more head room would give the relaxed pose a little bit more comfortable space at the top. Try a shot where the eyes go through the thirds line.

I like that he seems relaxed, great smile, natural.
The technical will come with time. Getting a person to open up, connect with them, be creative, get them to relax, tilt the head a bit.

Seems soft to me, and the lighting is harsh. The background is reallllyyy not helping either.

Hrm, I have a feeling the softness may be being caused by my lens (Canon 24-70 f2.8L). There have been numerous complaints of that lens looking "soft" and needing calibration after purchase. I'll try testing its focus with a newspaper or something when I get a chance. As far as the lighting, I don't really have any equipment to control that yet. We were shooting outdoors in the morning (around 8am). I was hoping the lighting wouldn't have been as harsh then.

Here's two more...

img6199jpg.jpg

img6500mod.jpg

Last edited:
I like that he seems relaxed, great smile, natural.
The technical will come with time. Getting a person to open up, connect with them, be creative, get them to relax, tilt the head a bit.

That's what I want to work on the most. This was the first time that I had been out with someone where I had to give them direction for everything (since before I had only shot with my close friends). I think I did okay!

In both images that you posted, the top of his head is cropped off. For me, this is no-no...you might want to leave a bit of space at the top of the image so that the entire head is showing and/or has been suggested, place his eyes along the upper "thirds" line and this should give some space at the top of the image. You also might want to experiment with fill-flash, even in day-time, the use of fill flash can help to avoid shadows caused by your subject being at an angle to the sun and having shadows on the side of his face (e.g., #2) and under the chin and around the eyes. You didn't mention what gear you are using and/or if you have a flash, but it would be a definite consideration for me in these situations. Here is a look at fill flash and other similar techniques that you might be interested in: Flash 101 (Fill Flash In Use) | The Wonder Of Light. There are lots of references pages and "how-tos" using fill flash and reflectors on the web - just google "fill flash" and "flash reflectors" or some combination of these, and you will find all kinds of "stuff". Another suggestion, if you haven't done so, it might be worth your while investing in a book or two on portrait photography - these will give you all kinds of stuff on posing and the more technical aspects of this type of photography. You have a good start so far, in my opinion...with experience, practice and some technical grounding, the rest will come. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Last edited:
I do not have a problem with the top of his head being cut off a little. It happens and you can look all over and see portraits done this way in magazines and professional shoots. It's a matter of taste. I really like #2 of the 2nd set!

Most reactions

Back