portrait C&C

petto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Doing 10 month pics of my daughter. C&C welcome. I liked this one even though she is not looking at the camera as it captures her inquisitive nature. She is always into everything. The effects were done in Aperture 3 using brushes.

IMG_1897_-_Version_2_1_.jpg

Very nice. I would have tried to have the background blown out a little more to make the picture focus more on her, but still good.

That was at 2.8 (max for this lens). I could have backed up a bit more though and zoomed in, prob would have blown it out a bit more. Saving up for a 85mm f/1.2.

I would steet away from selective color unless it accentuates the part of the image that you want people to focus on. Are you wanting us to focus on the shirt or the girl? And if you were trying to put emphasis on the fact that she is a girl - I don't believe selective color is really necessary for that.

The girl is the focus, I was playing with new software and thought it was a neat trick. Was not really considering point of focus in regards to the color as I should have been. Thanks for the tip, def something I should be considering.

Are you wanting us to focus on the shirt or the girl?

Absolutely. Color is one of the tools we have in creating a composition. I think full color of the entire image might help compensate for the lighting scheme, but only as a distraction.

The lighting is not particularly good for portrait work. It is nice, soft, broad light, but it's falling straight down on your sweet little girl. You can see it by simply squinting at the monitor. You can see tipping her head down left the entire front of her face in shadow.

Now, again, it is a very nice quality of light with a low ratio and soft shadow edges. But it's not falling on her face.

I agree having her interact with the environment (rather than the viewer) is interesting and helps depict her personality.

The background is soft enough. You easily have sufficient separation of her from the background.

My suggestion is go back to full color, crop a little off the top and in very slightly from the left side (to 4:5 ratio), and add a little vignetting to bring the eye into the scene.

I hope this is helpful.

-Pete

I will give that a shot this weekend and repost. Using nat light like I was how would I have eliminated the shadow on the face?

I personally am not a huge fan on selective Colorado. The photo is a great shot as someone posted earlier if you could of used a bokeh. Maybe get her too look into the camera as well might capture a great shot! :)

sparks017 said:
I personally am not a huge fan on selective Colorado. The photo is a great shot as someone posted earlier if you could of used a bokeh. Maybe get her too look into the camera as well might capture a great shot! :)

Selective Colorado? I've never heard that one before. Don't you love auto-correct?

Underexposed, no eye contact and horrible selective coloring :thumbdown:
:lol: Gary... as subtle as a Louisville Slugger applied to the back of the head!

Edited to correct phat phinger typo.

Last edited:
I will give that a shot this weekend and repost. Using nat light like I was how would I have eliminated the shadow on the face?

Well, if you bring her to the very same spot, you would have to direct her attention to something above; have her interact with something taller than she... maybe a helium balloon... just anything to tip her head up towards the light.

Otherwise, move her just under something that will block (subtract) the overhead light leaving light coming from one side. This might be tough to find with the leaves off the trees. It's not too hard to recognize this sort of light. You can use the same squint approach while shooting to help you see it.

Good luck and have fun!

-Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back