Portrait improvement? C&C

MrsLittle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Incirlik Air Base, Adana Turkey (thank you Air For
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't posted photos for C&C in a while. The last time I did, some of my photos were looking a little too orange and I am hoping that I have improved on that.
I have been doing this for 2 months now and really want this to work out for me- not for the business or money factor, more of a personal passion. Since I have 5 kids, I really want to exclusively become our own family photographer. I take all sensible advice into improving my work. Thanks.

1. I was trying to work with texture here.

DSC_2607_edited-2 by Lily Belle Photos, on Flickr

DSC_2754_edited-2 by Lily Belle Photos, on Flickr

3. I know there is hot hot spot on their faces, but I kept it anyways.

DSC_2636_edited-2 by Lily Belle Photos, on Flickr

I think you have a natural knack for it.... keep at it girlie. I got nothing for ya. EXcept in number 1 I think its too cold his lips are so pink its un real. But beautiful family and kiddos!

I think you have a natural knack for it.... keep at it girlie. I got nothing for ya. EXcept in number 1 I think its too cold his lips are so pink its un real. But beautiful family and kiddos!

this

Thank you! The lips were bugging me too. I couldn't figure out how to fix it, since I am still finding my way around PS.

I am def no expert and am slowly learning that myself but maybe select the lips and de saturate a bit? I know others will have MUCH better reccomendations then that lol!

Did you use sapphire on #1? It has the look of sapphire used on a warm image. I like the texture a lot. Love the little eyes. I could live without mom's arms AND his arms cut off. It's exposed well, focus is great.

2. Is again suffering from some chops on the hands that are a bit of a detraction. It's also rather close and if they order an 8x10? It's not going to print well because of it. It will FIT in an 8x10, but if you frame it-it is going to look pretty crowded in there. The frame is going to touch his head and his fingers. Need to feel like it fits in the frame/mat.
It's a beautiful shot.

3.I probably would have kept it too even with the hot spot. It's got a feeling to it that the hot spot is part of. I am not so sure on liking the color, but that is a personal thing. I am not a big fan of the vintagey color stuff most of the time. This one is a bit on the pink/orange side to me. It's not bad color. Or at least I don't think so... It's the look you were creating. Just isn't my thing. Wish the little guy were looking forward, but I know how working with little ones works... yeah... not gonna happen! LOL! There looks to be either a line that was painted in PS or was masked out to our left side about middle of the image. It's a beautiful shot!!!!

They look good with the exception for the faces being a little too bright and the color in #1 being off. Nice work otherwise.

Did you use sapphire on #1? It has the look of sapphire used on a warm image. I like the texture a lot. Love the little eyes. I could live without mom's arms AND his arms cut off. It's exposed well, focus is great.

2. Is again suffering from some chops on the hands that are a bit of a detraction. It's also rather close and if they order an 8x10? It's not going to print well because of it. It will FIT in an 8x10, but if you frame it-it is going to look pretty crowded in there. The frame is going to touch his head and his fingers. Need to feel like it fits in the frame/mat.
It's a beautiful shot.

3.I probably would have kept it too even with the hot spot. It's got a feeling to it that the hot spot is part of. I am not so sure on liking the color, but that is a personal thing. I am not a big fan of the vintagey color stuff most of the time. This one is a bit on the pink/orange side to me. It's not bad color. Or at least I don't think so... It's the look you were creating. Just isn't my thing. Wish the little guy were looking forward, but I know how working with little ones works... yeah... not gonna happen! LOL! There looks to be either a line that was painted in PS or was masked out to our left side about middle of the image. It's a beautiful shot!!!!

That's for the in depth critique. I keep forgetting about the cropping and framing issue, should I always crop in 8x10 format? I think I did 5x7 right there. And thanks for pointing out the eraser spot in the 3rd image, I never even noticed it. I did purposely do the pink tone, and sometimes I can get a little carried away.

No, you don't want to crop to an 8x10. If you MUST crop to anything 11x15 will accommodate any of the print ratios. You just need to remember to leave more room in the shot for the inevitable print crop.
There's nothing wrong with your pink tone, it's just not my taste! It's VERY popular right now. Just not at my house! LOL!

No, you don't want to crop to an 8x10. If you MUST crop to anything 11x15 will accommodate any of the print ratios. You just need to remember to leave more room in the shot for the inevitable print crop.
There's nothing wrong with your pink tone, it's just not my taste! It's VERY popular right now. Just not at my house! LOL!

Darn it, I didn't even know I had jumped on the inevitable band wagon, as far as edit goes. From now on I will crop wider and leave some space on either side. I just get a little antsy when I see too much space around photos, and then I get the urge to crop even more.

Then crop for display, but don't crop the original.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back