Portrait Lens

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm in the market for a portrait lens, as I have started to do more portraits and it is becoming a regular source of income. My 70-200 works very well for most cases, but having the flexibility of a faster aperture appeals to me. I am stuck between an 85 1.4 and a 135 f/2. I can get an 85 1.4D for the same price as a 135 f.2 DC... can anyone make a case for one or the other? I feel as though the 85 would be more flexible..

The other decision I am faced with is whether or not to spend the extra money on an 85 1.4G rather than the D. I've read it is a touch sharper and faster focusing, as well as having the nano crystal coat which is desirable.

TPF has helped me make good decisions in the past, so I come to you again. :confused:

Those would be my two choices. What length do you use the 70-200 most? I use the 80-200 and I've shot the 70-200 as well and like it mostly at 135mm and some at 200

Those would be my two choices. What length do you use the 70-200 most? I use the 80-200 and I've shot the 70-200 as well and like it mostly at 135mm and some at 200

I'm usually shooting it at a longer length depending on the framing, but that's to achieve a greater degree of defocus.

The 135DC is a VERY specialized lens; it's a great portrait focal length, but chances are you're never going to use about $800 worth of that particular lens; grab a used 85 1.4D and a nice 135 f2 and have the best of both worlds.

The 135DC is a VERY specialized lens; it's a great portrait focal length, but chances are you're never going to use about $800 worth of that particular lens; grab a used 85 1.4D and a nice 135 f2 and have the best of both worlds.

Would it be wise to just save a little extra and get the 85 1.4G?

I can't speak from experience; I still use the 1.4 D and am VERY happy with it. I know that the 'G' version is extremely well regarded, but as to whether it's worth the extra $$, I can't help you.

Would it be wise to just save a little extra and get the 85 1.4G?

I have the 1.8 but there's times where 1.4 made a difference.....I had the sigma 50 1.4 and having 1.4 helped when it was dark as heck. I would like both but if you have the 70-200 then I would get the 85 1.4 first... The 70-200 racked out to 135 or more will blow the bejeezus out of the background.

Never used the 85, but I love my 135. It gives good bokeh on closeup and full body.

For portraits I'd stick to 85 1.4d instead of spending the extra money on the G version. Portraits are not about ultimate sharpness in the corners (imho) but about rendering, pleasant colour and buttery smooth bokeh with pleasant transitions and the 'D' delivers these in spades. I have one and I'm not buying a G. I also have an older Tamron adaptall 135 f/2.5 mf lens that I'm not getting rid of anytime soon. The Tamron can be found for real cheap but it hits way above it's weight. I use both on a D700.

For portraits I'd stick to 85 1.4d instead of spending the extra money on the G version. Portraits are not about ultimate sharpness in the corners (imho) but about rendering, pleasant colour and buttery smooth bokeh with pleasant transitions and the 'D' delivers these in spades. I have one and I'm not buying a G. I also have an older Tamron adaptall 135 f/2.5 mf lens that I'm not getting rid of anytime soon. The Tamron can be found for real cheap but it hits way above it's weight. I use both on a D700.

I just purchased an EX condition copy of the 85 1.4D from KEH, should be here in a couple of days. I can't wait! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back