What's new

Portrait Lenses

Walshy

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 13, 2010
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,

I was wondering if I could get the opinions of you guys on portrait lenses. I am looking at an 85MM 1.4 or a 105MM F2. Any suggestions?? Or even a totally different lens that you could recommend??

Thanks
 
85mm is the most popular portrait lens and f/1.4 is fast! If you have a crop sensor, it may be hard to use in a small room. You will probably use it more for outdoor shots.
 
It's for indoor corporate portraits
 
Yes I do have a crop body
 
In that case, I would go with a 50mm. However, your post is a little light on info. You say corporate portraits, so is this a one off thing, or are you looking to expand your lens collection as well? What is the venue like where you'll be shooting? Is it a case of "lets just shoot in the conference room" or will you be shooting in a large, wide open area? What brand camera are you using? Are you footing the bill, or is the company paying? All of these things have a bearing on lens recommendations.
 
OK so I am using a Nikon D90, it is not a one off thing, I am starting to do portraits for the company I work for. They are being shot in the office building, some will be shot in meeting rooms or in the halls of the office building. The company is paying for the lens. We do own a 50MM 1.4 currently and was wondering if I should look at some other lens for portraiture.
 
Ok so dont bother buying anythng and just stick with the 50MM 1.4 right?
 
For what you'll be doing, I'd stick with the 50mm. 50mm is fairly tight on a crop, 85mm is very tight on a crop. In a hallway, you may be able to get back far enough with an 85, but in the average size meeting room, not so much. The 50mm should allow you enough distance in either case.

Oh, and maybe ask for a raise for saving the company money...
 
if they are paying for it, the more the merrier LOL
 
That was my thinking, if they are paying for it, why not?? I am saving them money by shooting for them as they used to have someone come in and shoot them. So by me being in house, they dont have to pay me. I also know that if I don't buy a lens they aren't going to give me a raise in lieu of this so why the hell not. So out of those two lenses the 85MM 1.4 or the 105 F2 which would you suggest or do you have any other lens suggestions for me??
 
Personally my goal is to have 35mm, 85mm, 135mm primes with my full frame.
 
The 85mm focal length would be my choice for head and shoulder shots.

You don't mention lighting for these corporate shots. I assume you're all set with that and have everything you need.
 
Yes I am set with lighting and all the rest, just looking for lens suggestions
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom