portrait lighting

Group shots can be a lot harder to light than singles or just a couple.

As you start out, I'd suggest trying to find good outdoor locations where you can use natural light for your family portraits (nice shady spots). Natural light portraits with a good background, good composition and good exposure, can be just as 'professional' as studio shots with 10 lights. Maybe use one flash for fill light, it could be used on-camera.

Last edited:
I plan on gettig into this professionally. I have about 15 families set up for the next few months that will be paying customers.

Assuming these families have paid for your services in advance can't you purchase some pro gear?

Did your prices include products such as prints or are those for purchase separately?

If you are located in a state that has nicer weather year round you could consider photographing them outdoors

I was thinking of finding something for indoors since the cold weather here is starting. Be kinda hard to convince a family or couple to brave -10 degree weather to take pics. To where if i had the means to do inside homes with a set up id be good to go. So any ideas as to a good set up? I might be able to raise my set up cost to around 700.00

Assuming these families have paid for your services in advance can't you purchase some pro gear?

Nothing set in stone but they have all been refered to me and have them set up just have to collect is all in the next few months. So to answer yours question. NO no one has paid in advance so far but im not worried about them not coming through.

Right - I wasn't sure as to where you are located. I'm sure they will come through - no question there - simply that if the money was in hand it could be used for gear.

I shot portraits with vivitar flash w/ umbrella and reflector until I could afford to buy monolights. So that could work too.

Oh yeah you guys get brutal winters like us. Stay warm.

I shot portraits with vivitar flash w/ umbrella and reflector until I could afford to buy monolights. So that could work too.

Exactly. This is good advice.

For pro gear, you should be thinking more like $1200 per light average, considering you'll need reflectors (umbrellas/softboxes) and some decent stands.

-Pete

Exactly. This is good advice.

For pro gear, you should be thinking more like $1200 per light average, considering you'll need reflectors (umbrellas/softboxes) and some decent stands.

-Pete

Price does not = pro.

I was thinking of finding something for indoors since the cold weather here is starting. Be kinda hard to convince a family or couple to brave -10 degree weather to take pics. To where if i had the means to do inside homes with a set up id be good to go. So any ideas as to a good set up? I might be able to raise my set up cost to around 700.00

Professional results can be done on a budget. It's about knowledge of your tools and how to use them to get the most out of them. The reason a "studio strobe" would be better than a speedlight for shooting group photos is that the larger light can put out much more power. On average, studio lights are about 400 w/s. Speed lights are about 60.

Can you tell which one of these was shot with a 320w/s studio strobe and which was shot with a Canon speedlight?

2424948395_fd85c8d3f2.jpg

2764287924_52aa32f200.jpg

I plan on gettig into this professionally. I have about 15 families set up for the next few months that will be paying customers. So let me ask you guys something. So would getting a speedflash, a pair of pocket wizards, a reflector, a strope and a umbrella be a good starter set up? or help me out. what all would i need for a good set up? I did find this from a forum member on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=130252965194

if you have bookings for portraits, you might as well nab full set up. the 3 light set up will give you a lot of functionality. i'm working my way up one light at a time.

the only thing that stood out with that kit was the size of the umbrellas (~24"). you might want to consider adding something larger if you are shooting couples/families, or full body shots.

the nice thing about buying used (assuming you don't get ripped off) is that you don't loose much if you don't stick with it. so go for it, you'll learn a ton about lighting when you introduce the complexity of a multi-light system.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Price does not = pro.
No kiddin'.

Pro gear has nothing to do with price. It has everything to do with quality and features.

Professional results can be done on a budget. It's about knowledge of your tools and how to use them to get the most out of them.

And some tools make the process easier, providing more control, security, reliability and durability.

The reason a "studio strobe" would be better than a speedlight for shooting group photos is that the larger light can put out much more power. On average, studio lights are about 400 w/s. Speed lights are about 60.

Sadly, I'm still using an old Speedotron 1200 brown line. When I shoot portraits, I set the unit on low (200ws) with 3 lamps. That's about 65ws to each lamp. Much more power is not necessarily needed. The problem with this unit compared to higher quality pro units is consistency. The output can vary slightly from exposure to exposure. I've been using this particular system for about 23 years. However, one huge advantage in addition to those I've already mentioned is a modeling light.

Can you tell which one of these was shot with a 320w/s studio strobe and which was shot with a Canon speedlight?

I can't. But they both appear to have been made with just one light.

Now that I've addressed each of your assertions, I'm not sure what point you're making. I can make a decent portrait with a point 'n' shoot, but when someone states, "I plan on gettig into this professionally," I'm not sending him out to buy a Powershot.

-Pete

No kiddin'.

Pro gear has nothing to do with price. It has everything to do with quality and features.

And some tools make the process easier, providing more control, security, reliability and durability.

Sadly, I'm still using an old Speedotron 1200 brown line. When I shoot portraits, I set the unit on low (200ws) with 3 lamps. That's about 65ws to each lamp. Much more power is not necessarily needed. The problem with this unit compared to higher quality pro units is consistency. The output can vary slightly from exposure to exposure. I've been using this particular system for about 23 years. However, one huge advantage in addition to those I've already mentioned is a modeling light.

I can't. But they both appear to have been made with just one light.

Now that I've addressed each of your assertions, I'm not sure what point you're making. I can make a decent portrait with a point 'n' shoot, but when someone states, "I plan on gettig into this professionally," I'm not sending him out to buy a Powershot.

-Pete

That the following statement is a moot point.

Professionally? Then look into Balcar, Photogenic or Broncolor.

EDIT: Oh... I just re-read the thread and saw "looking at around $300-400." You cannot buy professional studio portrait lighting with this budget.

Just because the person wants to eventually get into making a living off of this stuff, doesn't mean that they have to have lights that are $1000 a piece.

Joe McNally did a portrait at the top of the Empire State Building or the Chrysler Building (and I mean the top.) shooting the guy that has to go all the way up the spire to change the little red flashing light bulb.

He did it with a Nikon SB800, iirc.

Just because some one wants to do professional portraiture doesn't mean that they have to sit in a studio with a bunch of expensive gear. In fact, that kind of thinking would most likely have a person stuck doing the same old crap that's been done before.

I could replicate photos by tons of people with "professional" gear with $400 worth of lighting equipment.

Being a successful professional has everything to do with having a unique approach to things and not on how much expensive gear you have...

Being a successful professional has everything to do with having a unique approach to things and not on how much expensive gear you have...

...and neither of these points has anything to do with "I plan on gettig into this professionally. ...what all would i need for a good set up?

Just because some one wants to do professional portraiture doesn't mean that they have to sit in a studio with a bunch of expensive gear. In fact, that kind of thinking would most likely have a person stuck doing the same old crap that's been done before.

Where does this come from? I think we need a new thread to discuss this. Here... I'll start one.

-Pete

...and neither of these points has anything to do with "I plan on gettig into this professionally. ...what all would i need for a good set up?

I could replicate photos by tons of people with "professional" gear with $400 worth of lighting equipment.

That has everything to do with it. For $400 you could get a good setup to do professional portraiture. Just because I'm spending $40 on a light instead of $1000 doesn't make my photos any less professional. I could show up to a shoot with a box of Captain Crunch used as a snoot and still take professional photos.

Where does this come from? I think we need a new thread to discuss this. Here... I'll start one.

-Pete

Because a person wants to do something professionally doesn't mean he needs the best tools in the buisness, but he does need appropriate tools. Home Depot's brand of hammers may not be as highly rated as Snap Ons, but they'll still build a house.

Most reactions

Back