Portrait - my first try

moshepupkin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is pretty much my first try taking portrait pictures. There were effectively two sources of light - from the window and from an off camera flash with a diffuser.

What would you do better? $1531716_10201963555185125_1958706965_o.jpg$1412487_10201963555425131_1058796371_o.jpg

left : I would try to avoid fingers or hair that are too forward when lateral lighting is used, due to heavy projected shadows on the face
left : I would diffuse the flash a bit more
left : I would not cross-light, as this is taking the risk of having cross-shadow (I woould kee fill on camera axis)
both : I would fix a bit the background (texture) and the white balance (face)
both : I would frame her in a more punchy way (putting her in the center of a 3 x 2 horizontal frame leads to a somwhat static image, imho).

The background is clearly a problem, so I will get something more appropriate.

I agree that there is a problem with the light, too. However, if I diffuse the flash more it does not give enough light and I cannot set the shutter speed above 1/200 as otherwise my camera (Pentax k-x) refuses to trigger the flash (even in manual flash mode).

Good advice from bingbang! My thoughts: Rotate the camera 90 degrees into PORTRAIT aspect, provide greater separation between model and background, and bin the second light, just turn her to face the window, and if that light is too harsh, drape something such as a piece of clear/translucent plastic over it.

The background is clearly a problem, so I will get something more appropriate.

You don't even really need a back drop if you can get the subject far enough away from it, and choose an f/stop that puts just the subject in focus, and make sure the light source falls off before it can hit the bg.

Avoid any possible shadows, I dont think that shadows on the face look very good but if you will transfer it to B&W it works. Also background needs to be changed, solid white paint on the wall always works for me. You said that you used window light, I use only natural light in my work and I believe it looks better$model-test-photo-shoot-3.jpg try to achieve your own style though

I prefer the lighting in #1, #2 looks a little washed to me.

Most reactions

Back