Portrait of a "couple"

julianliu

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.cornerstoneimage.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot a photo of my friends, who are girl/boy friends but still early, so they do not act like a "couple" in the photo. I just let them sit down and snapped a shot, not much posing here. The guy told me he felt his legs looks awkward in the photo. And the girl complained she looks fat in another similar photo, not this one though. But I like the photo. What do you think? Anything else you wanna comment on? critiques are appreciated!

Attachments

• $image-2147444460.jpg
    $image-2147444460.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 141
I do see some room for improvement. First and foremost it looks like the DoF was insufficient and the boy appears soft. The 'Crown of Thorns' look from the Yucca(?) leaves behind the girls head are a little odd looking too. As far as their actual posing, I think they could be a little less square to the camera, and maybe doing something similar with their legs.

...the girl complained she looks fat in another similar photo

You'll get this a lot from non-pros. Same with guys. People who aren't comfortable with their body will pick apart your picture for all the things they don't like about the way they look.

As tirediron wrote; always be aware of the background. Either you move or the subjects move.

Also, I presume you wanted to get the stone in the background, and that's understandable, but you've got too much foreground in the frame. This shot could be cropped on the bottom.

I do see some room for improvement. First and foremost it looks like the DoF was insufficient and the boy appears soft. The 'Crown of Thorns' look from the Yucca(?) leaves behind the girls head are a little odd looking too. As far as their actual posing, I think they could be a little less square to the camera, and maybe doing something similar with their legs.

Tirediron, thanks for the comments.

I double checked my uncompressed jpg it seems the guys face was clear and sharp. So I am guessing the compression of jpg made the image blurry. Maybe this problem was caused by the slightly shallow DoF that's not shown in uncompressed jpg. I do see the guys face blurry here. So you points are noted. Same as your posing tips.

I had been taught to use the sharpen filter again after resizing a photo for submission. Maybe that will work for you too...

Tirediron, thanks for the comments.

I double checked my uncompressed jpg it seems the guys face was clear and sharp. So I am guessing the compression of jpg made the image blurry. Maybe this problem was caused by the slightly shallow DoF that's not shown in uncompressed jpg. I do see the guys face blurry here. So you points are noted. Same as your posing tips.

As tirediron wrote; always be aware of the background. Either you move or the subjects move.

Also, I presume you wanted to get the stone in the background, and that's understandable, but you've got too much foreground in the frame. This shot could be cropped on the bottom.

Hi, Designer,

I actually like the foreground, that's why I choose this photo to show here instead of the horizontal one attached below. What do you think?

Attachments

• $_ZJL7478-Edit.jpg
    $_ZJL7478-Edit.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 78

Most reactions

Back