Portrait of Aoife

psreilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Test shoot I did of an Irish Model based in NY. Let me know what I could have done differently. Solid feedback appreciated

Attachments

• tumblr_ngzd9nnQ5D1rwbdhqo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ngzd9nnQ5D1rwbdhqo1_1280.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
why did you choose square crop?

I like her but not sure about the conversion

Yeah the tripod I own isn't the greatest so I didn't want to position the camera in a classic portrait position. So purely just me being worried about my cameras safety.. probably time for a new and more sturdy tripod lol

Let me know what I could have done differently.

What was your goal?

I know you wrote "test shoot", but does this shot have a significant bearing on the style of the real shoot? IOW: what were you testing?

Well to me test shoot doesn't always mean to "test" it's just a overused term for the bookers who send models to me. What I was expecting people to criticize was how, I don't know bare I guess it is.. To me I think I could have probably benefited from maybe a prop or something.. just seems to be missing one thing

But yeah don't mind the terminology it's a bad term

Let me know what I could have done differently.

What was your goal?

I know you wrote "test shoot", but does this shot have a significant bearing on the style of the real shoot? IOW: what were you testing?

To a lesser extent I was trying out just a single light source. Earlier in the shoot I had been using two softboxes and it seemed to wash things out. What I was concerned with here was how I had to position her. I had her tilted a bit towards the left of the photo to eliminate more the shadow being cast by the light. Didn't know if anyone would point that out as a problem, but it's something I was conscious of during the shoot

I agree with the comments on the conversion, not sure I like it...It seems too washed out/desaturated or something. I like her and depending on what your purpose for shooting is, I can see that pose being a good one...One thing about the left hand, the pinkie placement/pose seems awkward...Maybe have it straightened out a little bit?

I agree with the comments on the conversion, not sure I like it...It seems too washed out/desaturated or something. I like her and depending on what your purpose for shooting is, I can see that pose being a good one...One thing about the left hand, the pinkie placement/pose seems awkward...Maybe have it straightened out a little bit?

You nailed it with the pinky lol. The shot was to obviously imitate a phone and yeah I noticed the pinky if it was straight would of resembled one more. It actually wasn't a conversion though I just don't have a good tripod and was worried about putting my camera in that position. I think I may have played around with the saturation tool, can't really recall

To a lesser extent I was trying out just a single light source. Earlier in the shoot I had been using two softboxes and it seemed to wash things out. What I was concerned with here was how I had to position her. I had her tilted a bit towards the left of the photo to eliminate more the shadow being cast by the light. Didn't know if anyone would point that out as a problem, but it's something I was conscious of during the shoot
Were the two softboxes about equi-distant from the model, and set to the same power, and pretty much the same opposing angle? That is why the light seemed "washed out", because you had no modeling in the light.

As for asking her to tilt her head to eliminate a shadow, well that is just plain odd. Usually the photographer will control the lighting, including where he places the lights.

And I'm not buying the "phone sign" at all.

The prop that you chose; a table, is odd as well. Maybe if you had some idea of the final shoot, you could test parts or all of that.

I like the lighting on her face, but hate the pose and the weird chair/desk she's sitting at. I'd crop this one in if it's the best frame you have in the series...

Were the two softboxes about equi-distant from the model, and set to the same power, and pretty much the same opposing angle? That is why the light seemed "washed out", because you had no modeling in the light.

As for asking her to tilt her head to eliminate a shadow, well that is just plain odd. Usually the photographer will control the lighting, including where he places the lights.

And I'm not buying the "phone sign" at all.

The prop that you chose; a table, is odd as well. Maybe if you had some idea of the final shoot, you could test parts or all of that.

No I didn't say I had her tilt her head, thats just what she did. i dont direct my models constantly it kind of defeats the purpose of what they are there to do. I said I positioned myself and the tripod in order to eliminate catching most of the shadow. And no I didn't have the lights positioned mirroring each other

What do you mean you're not buying the phone sign? Just as in it not being a good pose? And there really isn't anything coming after this with this particular model. Whatever I get out of this photo for constructive criticism will just be put towards something like this again in the future

Last edited:
I like the lighting on her face, but hate the pose and the weird chair/desk she's sitting at. I'd crop this one in if it's the best frame you have in the series...

Yeah it's a little desk. I'll take the advice see how it looks with a crop

There's the crop to get rid of the desk/table. I guess I like it without the desk but now her arm being in that position looks a lot worse without the desk

Attachments

• Photo forum.jpg
    Photo forum.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
" I had her tilted a bit towards the left.." No I didn't say I had her tilt her head, thats just what she did. i dont direct my models constantly it kind of defeats the purpose of what they are there to do. I said I positioned myself and the tripod in order to eliminate catching most of the shadow. And no I didn't have the lights positioned mirroring each other

What do you mean you're not buying the phone sign? Just as in it not being a good pose? And there really isn't anything coming after this with this particular model. Whatever I get out of this photo for constructive criticism will just be put towards something like this again in the future

I think you "invented" the phone sign AFTER someone else mentioned it.

I think you are attempting, but not succeeding in making your narrative fit the feedback.

Why not just take a picture, and put it up for critique without all the "story"?

So then in the real shoot, will you have the desk/table or will it not be there?

i dont direct my models constantly it kind of defeats the purpose of what they are there to do.
So the model is in charge of this shoot. Does she want to continue hiring you?

Most reactions

Back