Portrait photography advice?

I prefer as much distance as possible, maybe 15ft or so. That way you can stop down a bit and still get the background slightly bokeh if needed. I usually shoot portraits in studio around f/8 or so.

Ideally, yeah. But I don't have a studio and ultimatley struggled for getting 6-7ft of room (on reflection I should have shortened the backdrop to 1.5m but it was new and my first try with a "studio" background. I assume you'd be shooting f8 on a full frame as well so I can shoot a bit wider with my crop sensor.

I like the image and would like to offer a possible suggestion to help you with the processing here for the hair. Click on the local brushes and select the dodge brush and paint on the hair some to brighten it up and help to separate it from the background.

Thanks Ron. I"m familiar with masks but still working on my dodging/burning in lightroom. I did try it but couldn't refine it enough snd she ended up looking like her hair was grey! I'm refining my process ATM , a lot more confident eith it now do will give it a go.

I can see by the above sample image that overall you were able to create a good quality of light, and in the process no doubt learned some things.

Good solid image! Nicely done.

Derrel, Tirediron, I'd like to thank you two spesifically for your help. It has been invaluable. I'd have got no where near it without yor advice which is greatly appreciated indeed. Thanks!

My wee sis told me the other day that, after seeing her shots, her collegues have now decided they all need better shots for the website. She is chuffed and that makes me pleased, though I appreciate my shots still could be improved.

Apoligies for the late reply, am midway through a landscape workshop ATM!

This time of year I get a lot of senior shoots. I do strictly location shoots for these. But here is what I also do. When I book one of these kids for a shoot I do an interview either with them or their parents. What does the kid like to do? Do they play sports? Do they have a car? Do they have hobbies? What do they want to be?

I use this information to set up my shoot. I do the usual nicely dressed shots. Then I do the ones that are based on their likes, hobbies, hopes and dreams. One kid who rode bulls I shot in his chaps, vest and bull rope in a stockyard holding pen. A boxer I did some shots at the gym. A kid who dreams of being a chef I took to a friends restaurant and got some shots of him at the grill in a chefs hat and jacket. The kids and parents love these and they are a lot of fun to do.

Thanks for the tips mate, but it's a serious corprate headshot I'm going for. While in some fields a casual portrait is fine this is not one of them

weepete said:
[QUOTE"]I
Derrel, Tirediron, I'd like to thank you two spesifically for your help. It has been invaluable. I'd have got no where near it without yor advice which is greatly appreciated indeed. Thanks!

My wee sis told me the other day that, after seeing her shots, her collegues have now decided they all need better shots for the website. She is chuffed and that makes me pleased, though I appreciate my shots still could be improved.

Apoligies for the late reply, am midway through a landscape workshop ATM!
Hey Buddy, Thank you for the kind words! Always willing to help out if I have anything worth sharing with a fellow forum mate! Let's hope her co-workers get you some added photo sessions with the lights and such. The more sets shot, the more easily the shots fall into line!

I like the image and would like to offer a possible suggestion to help you with the processing here for the hair. Click on the local brushes and select the dodge brush and paint on the hair some to brighten it up and help to separate it from the background.

Thanks Ron. I"m familiar with masks but still working on my dodging/burning in lightroom. I did try it but couldn't refine it enough snd she ended up looking like her hair was grey! I'm refining my process ATM , a lot more confident eith it now do will give it a go.

Once you paint it on, you may have to play with the exposure slider and the highlights and shadows sliders as well. I gave it a go and see what you mean about the grey but after a little adjustment it lightened up a bit.

33904590762_b6c02a129d_o.jpg

*(¥€¥__$#!!!

Damn Ron, your edit is spot on! I just couldn't get that. Any chance you could screenshot it with the mask overlay on and let me know the settings in the basics panel please?

@weepete, if I had kept it, I would. That was all in Lightroom. I selected the brush tool and picked dodge from the drop down menu. Painted over the hair and then I used the sliders for exposure, shadows and highlights. I believe the exposure was about +0.40 or 0.50, the highlights were -0.50 or higher and the shadows were at something around +0.50 - 0.75 range. I just played with it to get the grey out but to give it some shine.

Hope that helps some.

Most reactions

Back