Portrait Photography - Tips/Tricks?

I sign up for everything just in case. Most of the time there is a replay later that night. And if you really liked it and want to see it over and over you can order it. It is about the cost of a college text book. $99 I think, preorderd

Use the fifty. If it is out of focus then shoot the picture again. Really have no idea of a reference point for your work to base advice from. Post some pics after you take them and people could give you better advice.

Do you have an umbrella and stand and can you shoot with your flash off camera?

I cannot - although I have never tried.. my flash is an older Vivitar.

Do you have an umbrella and stand and can you shoot with your flash off camera?

I cannot - although I have never tried.. my flash is an older Vivitar.

You would need a way to trigger it and a stand, umbrella, and adapter. About $95 all in all, but it would allow you to get much more creative. I had my camera at a friend's birthday last Saturday and a girl there said the wasn't very photogenic and something else about photos of her not turning out well. 5 minutes and 3 shots later with the speedlight I carry in my bag and an umbrella and adapter that happened to still be laying in my back seat from a shoot in DC a few weekends ago, I had proved her wrong.

Village Idiot said:
You would need a way to trigger it and a stand, umbrella, and adapter. About $95 all in all, but it would allow you to get much more creative. I had my camera at a friend's birthday last Saturday and a girl there said the wasn't very photogenic and something else about photos of her not turning out well. 5 minutes and 3 shots later with the speedlight I carry in my bag and an umbrella and adapter that happened to still be laying in my back seat from a shoot in DC a few weekends ago, I had proved her wrong.

Seems like a worthwhile investment! Links?

You could also use the local park with the trees as a backdrop

That's a good idea - I'll consider that when looking for a location!

mpex.com makes kits in their strobist section. You can put the items together yourself on B&H for cheaper and with out some of the extras.

Village Idiot said:
mpex.com makes kits in their strobist section. You can put the items together yourself on B&H for cheaper and with out some of the extras.

Will check it out, thanks!

Oh btw the village called..

If you feel you must use flash and lights.....don't try to learn on the fly at the shoot.
Set up a lamp shade out in your back yard and learn how to use all that stuff.

Or leave it all at home and shoot natural light....which will be your best chance for success.
It still takes a lot of practice but at least it is can be more productive while you are learning.

If you feel you must use flash and lights.....don't try to learn on the fly at the shoot.
Set up a lamp shade out in your back yard and learn how to use all that stuff.

Or leave it all at home and shoot natural light....which will be your best chance for success.
It still takes a lot of practice but at least it is can be more productive while you are learning.

Why not? If you have free models that realize that you're learning, I say that's the best time to try out the lighting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back