Portrait Photography - Tips/Tricks?

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Want to try shooting some portraits. I have some people from school that are willing to be (free) models, so I am scouting around where I live trying to find some interesting places. What are steps I should take to prepare/practice for this? There is no set date - the whole thing is up in the air at this point. I just know I want to shoot some portrait shots, and am looking for some guidance from you more experienced buggers. I have a flash, tupperware (diffuser), some work lights, can lights, nikon d7000, 18-105 f/3.5, nifty fifty, tripod, trigger, photoshop. Can DIY equipment if there is good means to do so.

Let me know!

(also, general portrait photography tips/advice thread)

If they're free female models I suggest your bedroom, if they are male models the football field. I wish all answers were this easy.

Tevo,

At least you did not come on here asking what to do because you have paying customer coming in a couple of hours. Good.

You have time to do a bit of research and a bit of learning and a bit of practice. Good.

Google 'portraiture'

Google 'posing for portraits'

Google 'rules of portraiture'

Google 'portrait lighting'

Google 'how to direct a portrait sitting'

Google 'photographing people'

Google 'portrait photography'

Google 'portrait photographers'

Google 'portrait styles'

..... as you can probably surmise there is quite a bit to this topic in photography.

As you do all of these google searches be aware of the age of any bystanders looking over your shoulder.

As a first try, borrow a teddy bear from your sister, sit it on a stool, aim your flash at the ceiling or at the wall over your shoulder, set your aperture to f/4 for a start and fire away. Now compare this image to some of the ones you just found in your google trip and see where they differ. Try to replicate what you like in the images you found. (Not the content, but the technique!)

When the girls do finally show up and you do manage to get your head thinking about the photography (mind you don't let the little head take over now) you might have a chance to get some decent images done.

Have fun.

Tevo,

At least you did not come on here asking what to do because you have paying customer coming in a couple of hours. Good.

You have time to do a bit of research and a bit of learning and a bit of practice. Good.

Google 'portraiture'

Google 'posing for portraits'

Google 'rules of portraiture'

Google 'portrait lighting'

Google 'how to direct a portrait sitting'

Google 'photographing people'

Google 'portrait photography'

Google 'portrait photographers'

Google 'portrait styles'

..... as you can probably surmise there is quite a bit to this topic in photography.

As you do all of these google searches be aware of the age of any bystanders looking over your shoulder.

As a first try, borrow a teddy bear from your sister, sit it on a stool, aim your flash at the ceiling or at the wall over your shoulder, set your aperture to f/4 for a start and fire away. Now compare this image to some of the ones you just found in your google trip and see where they differ. Try to replicate what you like in the images you found. (Not the content, but the technique!)

When the girls do finally show up and you do manage to get your head thinking about the photography (mind you don't let the little head take over now) you might have a chance to get some decent images done.

Have fun.

Excellent. Search queries. I always have trouble finding the right things to search for, I will start looking now! Thanks a lot :)

(lol @ the little head)

What kind of portraits?

Not sure. Before now I hadn't really looked at portrait styles - or payed attention to them at any rate. I'm thinking more candid portraiture.. but for the purposes of this, just general shooting techniques for portrait photography.

There is a free webinar starting tomorrow on CreativeLive that might be of interest to you.

(mind you don't let the little head take over now)

Great tips Patrice. But for some reason, this was all I got. LOL :lmao:

@Tevo - Good luck bro! Sorry, I can't really comment much on how to help you since I'm quite a newbie when it comes to Portraits.

Most reactions

Back