Portrait session for C&C

allison_dcp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying to focus more on lighting and hoping to get less 'flat' photos. (I will reiterate that I am a newbie.....) I finally figured out what a hot shoe is for:) lol. These were taken with my off camera slave flash bouncing off a white reflector to girls right. I also had my on-camera flash, heavy diffused, on so I could trigger the slave. (I dont think my camera, Canon EOS 20D, has an option for wireless activation w/o setting off the flash).
What are some ways to improve this set? This little girl was such a ham!
1. 2.5/f 1/200 200 ISO $Madison.jpg2. 2.2/f 1/200 200 ISO$IMG_9862 -1REEDIT.jpg3.2.2/f 1/200 200 ISO $IMG_9869 -1.jpg4.2.2/f 1/200 200 ISO $IMG_9868 -1.jpg

I am a newbie too so take this with a grain of salt at least.. lol but I feel like these lack sharpness around the eyes to draw you in. #3 has it best, but the others lack. Your photos said ok to edit so I did some on the first and changed the crop bc I didn't care for it as is. I wish there were more space up top but I have only one hand so didn't want to get crazy with the sleeping baby on me. I sharpened some, softened skin a bit, light iris enhance and the crop.. oh and upped the blacks to darken the bg and hide some flyaways better.

Madison-2 by lovemyhero, on Flickr

The lighting is still very flat. There are. I shadows on her face and Te illumination is unnatural.

Study traditional lighting techniques.

Rembrandt lighting
Split lighting
Butterfly lighting
Broad/Short Lighting
Loop lighting

Ugh..... Thanks for the advice. Its hard not to get frustrated. So having the flash off camera didnt help? Could if have something to do with my pop-up flash still going off? I'm looking up alternatives to set off the slave and I think I'm going to start with a PC sync cable.

*rexbobcat* Thanks for the tips on different lighting techniques, I will look into those today:)

Ugh..... Thanks for the advice. Its hard not to get frustrated. So having the flash off camera didnt help? Could if have something to do with my pop-up flash still going off? I'm looking up alternatives to set off the slave and I think I'm going to start with a PC sync cable.

*rexbobcat* Thanks for the tips on different lighting techniques, I will look into those today:)

The on camera flash totally negates having the OCF. GEt some wireless triggers (about $50) and either a softbox or shoot-thru umbrella.. take the same photos again and you'll say "WOOOOOWWWWW!"

Its that much of a difference..

If your camera doesn't do wireless you can pick up a wireless flash trigger with a couple of receivers for about $30 at Amazon.com, that will save you having to use the pop up and give you more flexibility. :)

If your camera doesn't do wireless you can pick up a wireless flash trigger with a couple of receivers for about $30 at Amazon.com, that will save you having to use the pop up and give you more flexibility. :)
Thanks! will try this.

Most reactions

Back