Portrait session.

dave196

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a few of the better images I took in a recent portrait session I did for a friend.
Shot with:
Nikon D70
Sigma 35-70 1:3.3-4.5
C&C welcome
Picture062.jpg

Picture094.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Certainly the following is all opinion.

You have some nice environmental portraits here. The poses and compositions are pleasing if rather dated. The images are kind of small here but....

#1 is underexposed but the underexposure is fairly easy to fix post process, but it is always easiest to cover most of your exposure and compositional bases in the camera. I would crop a bit off the top. I would also do a version as a head and shoulders crop in a 4:5 aspect ratio (8x10).

#2 could have benefited from fill light to balance the bright background sky. If you have a new enough release of Photoshop you can open the image in ACR and adjust the Fill slider to accomplish that. It's unfortunate you cut off his lower leg. I feel there is a little to much space on the left so you might want to try some differnt crops on this one too.

#3 is also looks a bit underexposed and he is missing part of his hand and his elbow is out of frame. This has more of a candid feel rather than a portrait. The surf line? rocks, whatever it is there in the upper left corner could easily be a distraction from your subjects.

When it comes to portraiture, the devil is in the details....

I would say your 'eye' is adequet for now, but I can imagine the growth attainable with some thought, research and practice. :thumbup:

Ok here goes, hope ive taken all advice into account:
dave.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Just for context, there were taking as a Birthday present for their Mother.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back