Portrait Shoot

ImperialPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Shooting my favorite style for portraits and wanted some C&C.

Thanks guys!!!

$image-4094981148.jpg

$image-2619201162.jpg

C&C per req:

1. I find the door/window/black-patterny thing behind her head somewhat distracting and her pose looks rather forced; almost as if you'd asked her to pose when it was very cold and she was trying to keep warm and force a smile. The exposure is good (maybe just a touch bright, but easily corrected in post), 'though I find the lighting a trifle flat, and some catchlights in the eyes wouldn't go amiss.

2. Pose and expression are much nicer here, but I'm not sure I agree with the choice of posing a model in dark clothing against a bright yellow background; it's really pulling my eye away. There's a loss of detail in the blacks, and a marked difference in exposure between her face which looks slightly flashed and her arms which appear about 2/3 stop under-exposed.

The cropping in both is a little tight for my taste, and in #2 you've actually cropped her arm along the linear axis (generally regarded as a portraiture no-no). Consider opening up just a tad to allow a little more room.

I'm curious; what precisely do you see about this as your 'style'? (No, that's not a shot or a snide comment, it's a sincere question)

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

The first is sort of an uncommon pose with her slanted off to one side and with her head so much closer to the margin. Additionally, her face is overexposed, note the blanched areas on cheeks and forehead.
The second has another uncmmon pose where her body is at an angle to her neck and head. Her arms are dark, her face and chest are quite pale, she is flat on to the camera and the dress is so dark as to be an inky blot.

Most reactions

Back