tommetass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tomaspollen.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there

I'm new at this forum and I've been on the lookout for a forum where there's a lot of activity. And it seems like I found the right place.

Would really like to know what you think of these photos.
Need some good critique.

They're taken at home with 2 fluorescent lamps.

(Flickr links show more photos)

First series were shot with a Canon EOS 30D: Studio time with the boys

4628884993_5b2b892752.jpg

4629485876_045fb878f3.jpg

4628886019_3e4f08d4d0.jpg

4629528364_358981c6f4.jpg

And then this is the newest one, shot with a Canon EOS 7D: Studio with some friends

4674336001_a6201fcda8.jpg

4674961416_0ccb411806.jpg

4674965448_98dd81ffc7.jpg

4674988518_4fa67500c6.jpg

No critique here. I suppose some of them can be ninny picked here and there, but I like all of them as they are. Well, maybe the chick's pic could have been a little softer. But that's me.

Nice head shots, especially while only using two fluorescents.

Oh, yeah! Welcome to the board.

It's actually rather difficult to offer critique on these images. They seem very reflective of a particular technique or style, and while I'm not sure it's too my taste, they are well done. You've done some very creative lighting with these and I think you should be very happy with them.

To turn the question around, what do you feel could be improved?

It's actually rather difficult to offer critique on these images. They seem very reflective of a particular technique or style, and while I'm not sure it's too my taste, they are well done. You've done some very creative lighting with these and I think you should be very happy with them.

:thumbup:

some great shots there. setup? how many watts? where were they in relation to subject and camera?

And you say you worked with fluorescent lights? No special photo lights? Inspiring, if THIS is what you can make from "just" such lights! I like your lighting, I find it a bit dramatic.

"What tirediron said.":thumbup:

Thanks for the comments guys:) Appreciate it.

That's a good question.

Something I would love is to have stronger light sources so I can shoot with a smaller aperture opening.

I want to be able to shoot at around f/11 or more. But with the setup I have I can maybe get it to f/9 and a shutter at 1/25. That's with the ISO at 100 of course.

Other than that I'm happy with the pictures.

My background is: 2 years of school where we learned about media in general and photography was maybe 1/5 of the curriculum.
And then after that I jumped over to video and have been doing that for about 3-4 years. And now I sold my video gear and bought a 7D for the filming option at first, but I've just completely fallen for photography.
Though I will be doing a lot of video as well..

So yeah.. seeing as I'm "kind of" new with photography. I wanted to check if there is some noteworthy critique with/in these pictures.

some great shots there. setup? how many watts? where were they in relation to subject and camera?

Quote from where I bought the lighting eq from:
The Super Cool-lite 9 head uses near daylight (5200k) balanced fluorescent lamps equivalent to 1000 watts of tungsten lighting per head for excellent quality results.

So about 1000 watts per head.
And I used two heads.

I didn't use a softbox for these shots cause I needed a lot of light.
The front light I kept very close to the subject and to their right (our left).
So that I would get that nice shadow on their left cheek (our right).

And then the back light, I put it to the right (for us and left for them) pointing straight at their backs. To give a nice halo effect and give the subject some depth.

Instead of just a flat frontal light.

And you say you worked with fluorescent lights? No special photo lights? Inspiring, if THIS is what you can make from "just" such lights! I like your lighting, I find it a bit dramatic.

Sorry I guess I explained badly:
This is the head I used: Interfit Super Coolite 9 Twin Head Kit Fluorescent INT217 | Fluorescent Heads | Hawks Photo Video

"What tirediron said.":thumbup:

I agree........... Your last image. Is the subject a man or woman ?

3rd picture, is that Steve-O from Jackass? JK btw

These are really cool. Your lighting set up has given me some ideas for myself going forward.

I might have to go back into self-portrait work since I can't get anyone to cooperate long enough to actually practice.

These are really cool. Your lighting set up has given me some ideas for myself going forward.

I might have to go back into self-portrait work since I can't get anyone to cooperate long enough to actually practice.

Hehe, just nag people enough so they'll say yes :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back