Portraits of my Daughter from June - which is your favorite?

Mav

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which is your favorite? :)

5x7_38760029d-vi.jpg

5x7_38760034d-vi.jpg

5x7_57800006d-vi.jpg

5x7_DSC_5937d_D40-vi.jpg

5x7_DSC_6177_D40-vi.jpg

5x7_DSC_6199_D40-vi.jpg

5x7_DSC_6243_D40-vi.jpg

thanks! :mrgreen:

I like #2 the most, but they are all very cute. I would like some of the color ones better if you cleaned up the boogies around her nose. :) She looks like a sweetheart.

hard to pick. I like 1, 5 and 6. That purple looks really nice with her skin tones and eyes

I like 7. It makes her look like a little Ray Charles or Elton John or something. She's a very cool cat in that photo! :) But I also like 2. I would just be glad you have ALL of these shots, as they are all very good and will be great to remember her in this stage by.

BTW, the grain in the first two is very nice. It looks like film grain, am I right?

Good focus on her eyes in all of them. (Unfortunately equally good focus on her little nose and what's inside, too :roll: ;)). I prefer the first to all others, it is the moodiest (just woken from her nap?). The very shallow DOF grabs me, too, makes her eyes show sooooo much.

The one of her sitting on the beach looks like a pic my dad took of my sister nearly 50 years ago! :D Funny how baby photography seems to never have changed that much.

The ones showing her in her rose-coloured outfit with the heart on her chest seem too warm, colour temperature-wise. Her skin looks too yellow.

She's a cutie.
Care to tell us her name?

Thanks everybody! Her name is Katie and she's now 15 months. Yeah I know, boogers are my nemesis! :lol: Some of these were actually cleaned up and there's nothing left to see. The minor stuff I don't bother with, although maybe I should.

@ Senor Hound: Correct! The first two were shot on my F100 with Ilford XP2 400 Super C41 B&W film, and my 50mm f/1.4D lens. The third was also on film. F100 with Fuji Superia Reala 100, Costco 6MP scan, and Nikkor 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 lens, probably at about 105mm and f/8. The rest were all shot with my D40 and the 17-55DX lens.

The photography club at the office (of which I'm the founder and president of, lol) is having a portrait contest, so these are what I'm deciding between. The winner will get their choice of a gift card to a few different stores (which I'm the keeper of in my locked desk drawer, hah) These are the 7 that I narrowed down from 34, all of which I print in 5x7" and 8x10 or 8x12. Most of these will get displayed around the house.

#1 I really like and it does have a sleepy mood to it. Actually she was getting ready to take a nap there.

#2 could almost be called a self-portrait, hehe. Her arms were actually holding onto her crib, but the way it's composed it looks like she could have been holding the camera herself.

#3 is a timeless beach portrait, yes. It's one of my favorites from our entire beach trip. Do you guys think I need to crop more? I'm thinking there's just a bit too much dead space particularly up in the sky and that I could use a tighter crop here to help emphize her more and the scene less. What do you guys think?

#4 had huge potential, but the lighting wasn't quite right (couldn't get a strong enough bounce flash coming back at her, and I think the bokeh in the background is more of a distraction than anything.

#5 & 6 I both really liked. #6 in particular I loved, but there was just something overly synthetic and plasticy about it that really turned me off. It looks overly processed, airbrushed, or "clean" or whatever, and that one is straight off the camera! Didn't realize it, but I made the 5x7 crop of this one from the original-original file where I hadn't even cleaned up the white spec of lint on her shirt which I find more distracting than the little boogie. :) Anyways, getting OT but this is what drove me to pull the trigger on a film camera and start shooting with some film. So far I LOVE the richness that a little grain gives to your photos.

#7 is just super cute. It's not even in focus and you can see a little motion blur if you look closely to, but at 5x7" it's fine. It's just a cute photo. She never leaves her "baby sunglasses" with elastic/velcro on for more than like 15 seconds before pulling them off, so I was happy to get this one with a cute look, albeit out of focus and a bit blurred. My wife is ecstatic about this one and probably doesn't even know or care that it's blurred and out of focus! :)

Most reactions

Back