Posing help - brothers, shoot tomorrow

jowensphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am photographing my nephews tomorrow, ages 7 and 10. The location has a red caboose, haven't seen it, only know what my sister has told me.

Thinking about doing some basic one sitting, one standing... "tough guy" poses, but I'm really at a loss of how to tie in the caboose. Any ideas? Oh! Maybe some shots through the windows.

How about a 'brakeman' pose, hand on the grab-iron, swinging onto the step, or standing on the deck, looking back at you (bring a step-ladder so you can get up to the right height)? Maybe sitting on the steps, one above the other?

Holding rail and leaning away from train, both driving the train, use steps to stagger them, yes, bring a small ladder to get different angles like tirediron suggested. Here a few I took for practicing. Maybe get your creativity going. Not children, but may help.

$boots.jpg$Train PC.jpg$train PC1.jpg$train tracks pc.jpg

Thanks John! I may be over thinking this. Hopefully everything will click once I get there and see the location.

The caboose you are considering is most likely to be part of a museum or town display. It may possibly be fenced in, typically with a chain link fence. That would definitely affect your photo opportunities.

On the other hand, if the caboose is part of a 'live' railroad, you would be trespassing on private property. As a railroad employee, I can state unequivocally that trespassing on a railroad is extremely dangerous and could even kill you! In the picture provided by bunny99123 above, the couple on the very-active tracks would have at most 2 seconds to get clear if a freight train came up from behind at speed. If the tracks in that picture were on the Amtrak line between Washington DC and Boston, there would be less than 1 second between seen and dead. (120mph = 176 feet per SECOND!) Also, trains can be surprisingly silent when moving at any speed! That's why all railroads regard SAFETY as the most important of all rules!

Two of the photo's were on a live track. I was there when a train did go by and with the distance between the shoot area and were you could see it, there was plenty of time to get off the track. I am not reckless...nor but anyone into danger. Defendly never encourage anyone to shoot children on a live track. Also, I had someone with me to watch for trains. In my area no fast moving trains, and you can hear a train coming in the country with no city noise from a long distance away. The rest were taken at a park which is part of their enouragement for children to learn about trains. We have a lot of old Depots here that towns have sectioned off and open to the public for use. No fences around it.

I do understand your concerns, but these pics were posted to stimulate creativity not to encourage shooting children on a live track. Don't know where you are from, but were I live our park systems are relaxed, and look on line there are 1,000's of photo's taken on rail road tracks, the Rail Road can get in line to sue me. There are some idiots out there that do not respect the speed of a trail, but I am not, since I have spent my life crossing railroad tracks with only a stop sign. Now that is something you really need to worry about. How many people are killed in small towns from people not stopping at the stop signs and trying to bet a train that is in close distance. More railroad light systems are needed vs. how many people taken photos on a rail road track.

I think the children will give you inspiration. Just watch what they do, and if it has potential, then add a little direction of your own. I think the biggest trick will be to get both in the frame and focused at the same time. Don't be shy about shooting just one of them if you can't get both in the shot.

Most reactions

Back