Post a photo of a photographer taking a photo! Photoception!

Yeah, I actually didn't even know that the thread was there! The title didn't really tell me anything so I didn't bother to look at it. So I guess I'm resurrecting it from the grave!

From a candy themed shoot awhile back.
IMG_1649.jpg

As an aside:

Where did you get this ringflash? This is exactly the type I've been looking for and I can't find a high quality one that I'm happy with.

Please feel free to PM if you're able. I don't want to hijack this thread. Thanks!

There is a theme thread called "Photographers around us" that covers this very theme, so I'll merge this newly started thread with the existing one, ok?

I do not understand merging a new thread with an old, basically dead thread, one from 2007, where there is nothing except dead links to formerly-exiting photographs, until page 2, post #22...

Yeah, we "used to have a thread" that was of interest...with members that used to post here...but that thread was dead and buried...so why take a new thread and tack it onto the end of a dead thread, filled with posts from members who no longer participate?
On some forums, the mod(s) just delete the dead posts, and that way the thread stays fresh.

I do not understand merging a new thread with an old, basically dead thread, one from 2007, where there is nothing except dead links to formerly-exiting photographs, until page 2, post #22...

Yeah, we "used to have a thread" that was of interest...with members that used to post here...but that thread was dead and buried...so why take a new thread and tack it onto the end of a dead thread, filled with posts from members who no longer participate?

The Photo Themes would be hopelessly cluttered if we let people start new theme threads any time a theme springs to mind (and has sprung to other members' minds before them!) and those thread would not be merged. Photo theme threads don't "die", the theme is there forever, and additions may be made for as long as members come up with new photos fitting the given theme. Everyone's invited to happily skip the first ever so many pages and start from the back (which is easily done!), plus I do go through the themes and do some weeding, only don't I always have time for this (extremely time consuming!) job.

Therefore themes that are already existing will always be merged with the original thread on the very theme. Sorry if this irks some...

What "irks some" is that old, dead threads are useless on mobile devices. Why would anybody want to tack on NEW, ACTIVE content 10 to 11 pages into old DEAD threads created by former members who left the site five years ago?

I posted my comment earlier today, and then went through the thread a bit more. FOur pages into the old thread, I saw your 53 photos on page 4 of that old thread, LaFoto. The fact that you posted 48 of your own photos, then a half-dozen more, four pages into the old thread, wayyyyy back in the year 2007, is probably why YOU recall the original, long-since-dead thread. And that is probably why the new poster could not FIND the long since dead thread...

Who really wants to wade through 11 pages that are literally years old, to be able to finally, tediously, laboriously view NEW material, submitted by CURRENT, and active members--many of whom are now reading TPF on mobile devices? I mean...really???

"Hopelessly cluttered"??? The very definition of that phrase is the original, long-since dead thread..filled with nothing, until your 48, then total of 53, pictures pop up four pages in.. Tacking on brand new content 12 pages in...

That is what strikes me as "hopeless".

Last edited:
LaFoto said:
The Photo Themes would be hopelessly cluttered if we let people start new theme threads any time a theme springs to mind (and has sprung to other members' minds before them!) and those thread would not be merged. Photo theme threads don't "die", the theme is there forever, and additions may be made for as long as members come up with new photos fitting the given theme. Everyone's invited to happily skip the first ever so many pages and start from the back (which is easily done!), plus I do go through the themes and do some weeding, only don't I always have time for this (extremely time consuming!) job.

Therefore themes that are already existing will always be merged with the original thread on the very theme. Sorry if this irks some...

Right. Kind of like the "post a picture of yourself " started in 2007 or the "ban the person..." thread. Why would you want to start new, identical threads?

Yeah....let's combine ALL "similar" threads into ONE BIG GIANT, 100-page thread.

We can then narrow the entire TPF forum down to say, maybe 50 separate threads! Imagine, only one thread about which lens to buy, one thread about which camera to buy, and one thread about wedding photography! That would be awesome! of course, I am still reading the Sunday newspaper from the third weekend of October, 2010...so maybe my ideas are wrong. I mean, who doesn't enjoy wading through 150 dead, photo-less posts to get to a five year old image or two?

Derrel said:
Yeah....let's combine ALL "similar" threads into ONE BIG GIANT, 100-page thread.

We can then narrow the entire TPF forum down to say, maybe 50 separate threads! Imagine, only one thread about which lens to buy, one thread about which camera to buy, and one thread about wedding photography! That would be awesome! of course, I am still reading the Sunday newspaper from the third weekend of October, 2010...so maybe my ideas are wrong. I mean, who doesn't enjoy wading through 150 dead, photo-less posts to get to a five year old image or two?

I use the "newest thread first" option. It works great.

Most reactions

Back