Post your favorite accidental shot

I posted this one a couple years ago right after I took it. I saw Rudolph, snapped the pic, and when I loaded it for editing, I was very happy to see the falling leaf had come along at the most opportune time:biglaugh:
Rudolph.jpg

Well since you asked for more here is another I am not quite sure fits as accidental, but I did not get it intentionally.

The helicopter is approximately 0.5 miles away, the building is approximately 0.8 miles away. Until I took this image I did not realize there is a giant flag on the side. Now that I know it is there I try to get it in my shots of military aircraft and I am usually somewhat successful. This was an amazing accident.

DSC_9861.jpg

This past May I was shooting some mule deer does on my hill. They were actually a little far away for my lens and I didn't even see the mountain bluebird until post.
IMG_0536 A doe and a bluebird.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0536 A doe and a bluebird.jpg
    IMG_0536 A doe and a bluebird.jpg
    632 KB · Views: 62
Years ago meaning around 2005 I was testing a brand new Nikon 300 mm F / 2.8 AFS Mark II shooting some maple leaves in evening backlight. After I downloaded the photos to my computer I saw a wonderfully backlit spider web which my human eyes could not make out, but which was revealed quite beautifully by the Superior Optics of the lens. As I remember the Maple trees were about 50 yards away, and the spider web was at least 45 to 50 feet above my head level.

Last edited:
Great idea for a thread! I have two, very old photos taken way before I knew anything about capturing motion. Both of the photos are of my late Doberman Pinschers when they were young. I took a lot of photos of them not knowing how the images were going to turn out.

#1 - I call this image "Kung Fu sparring day!"
View attachment 180795

#2 - We never had our Doberman's ears cropped like some, but in this image the dog's ears appear like they had been cropped.
View attachment 180799

JT
oh they were so beautiful !! thank you for sharing

Not sure if this qualifies as accidental but definitely all luck no skill. I was on a moving bus and spotted this guy at the very last second and basically fired my camera against the window without looking. looks like he saw you!! great!!

Wicklow wildlife by SharonCat..., on Flickr

These are all great!

This would be my best kind of accidental shot.
I had intended to take a shot of the trash pandas in the tree. They were both looking at me but just as I was hitting the shutter the top one hid some of it's face creating the shy look that you see here.

playing shy by Trevor Baldwin, on Flickr

Autumn shot of my youngest...a split second before she fell off a ledge. Unfortunately she also fell out of focus.
DSC_6484.jpg

Autumn shot of my youngest...a split second before she fell off a ledge. Unfortunately she also fell out of focus.

That's cute! I hope she survived the fall. As for the image, I especially love the atmospheric colors and tone of the forest floor. Nice shot.

Most reactions

Back