Post your favorite shot from your most recent roll

Do they do any of the editing or color adjustments? I typically shoot B&W but have a few boxes of Portra Id like to shoot but I am terrible at color adjustments. Just trying to figure out if there is a typical workflow for color negative scans to get the right colors/WB (that classic Portra look) or if I need to out source.

As far as I know they don't. You can have them to but you have to pay extra. These are straight scans and I add a bit of contrast adjustment to them.

As far as I know they don't. You can have them to but you have to pay extra.

Bummer.

That's actually better for me. Since I do my own editing, I prefer the scans to be neutral so I can do my own color correction if necessary. Most of the time with film I rarely have to unless I'm getting crazy color casting.

Interesting. The lab here uses an Epson V800 and everything I get back is under exposed a bit and the colors are all over the place. Even my B&W stuff generally comes back dark and not B&W. You can see that its slightly blue so I always make sure to run a B&W layer first thing. I don't know if its the lab, the flatbed scanner or maybe my shutter speeds are inaccurate (I do meter with my phone though)

Minolta Hi Matic G2. FP4. D76 1:1

At the Threepoint Creek Ford

MH-5-011e1s.jpg

Interesting. The lab here uses an Epson V800 and everything I get back is under exposed a bit and the colors are all over the place. Even my B&W stuff generally comes back dark and not B&W. You can see that its slightly blue so I always make sure to run a B&W layer first thing. I don't know if its the lab, the flatbed scanner or maybe my shutter speeds are inaccurate (I do meter with my phone though)
Send your stuff to darkroom, they have a normal, enhanced, and super scan. I have been happy with their enhanced scan of 135 film. I can only imagine it being better on a bigger negative. I send them my color film, I can't figure out how to get Portra to look right with my scanner, everything is to blue. I sent them my last 2 rolls and the negatives looked the same as mine so I figured my processing is ok. Just easier to send to them, they do something right compared to what I get.

I'm not sure what's going on behind the scene at the labs :) I use The Find Lab almost exclusively, and they have both Frontier and Noritsu scanners. For color negative film, I tend to over expose Portra 400 about 1-2 stops when metering to get the skin tone to where I want it. Fuji 400h can handle over exposure a bit better without color casting compare to Portra 400. I don't know much about B/W film but I heard some people do push it in development for a more contrasty looks.

Minolta Maxxum 9, 35-70 mini beercan, TriX

From Detroit
FromDetroi.jpg

I'm not sure what's going on behind the scene at the labs :) I use The Find Lab almost exclusively, and they have both Frontier and Noritsu scanners. For color negative film, I tend to over expose Portra 400 about 1-2 stops when metering to get the skin tone to where I want it. Fuji 400h can handle over exposure a bit better without color casting compare to Portra 400. I don't know much about B/W film but I heard some people do push it in development for a more contrasty looks.

I typically shoot portra 160 and shoot one stop over what was metered. I think I just need to find a new lab

I typically shoot portra 160 and shoot one stop over what was metered. I think I just need to find a new lab
The Darkroom is pretty awesome from my experience. I don't use them much but when I do, their scans are clean, and nice.

Cool! I generally I push Portra 160 for a slight more contrasty looks (more or less a personal preference). I also shoot and push Portra 800 from time to time.

Nice one, JC! I like the angles here, the cityscape background and the silhouetted figures. Good tonal range, too. Nice work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back