posting photos of others (especially children) online.

bribrius

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For years I was kind of under the impression from obvious sources that suggested to not post photos of your children online. Predator, stalkers, who knows. seems everyone does this now (I have done a few but generally refrain).
Also there used to be a sort of code about not posting photos of people in general online without permission. Everyone had a certain line there. Seems to be gone now I see people and children posted online all the time.

did something change?

Yeah, the paranoid, delusional people who feared "the internet" were finally realized to be paranoid,delusional nutjobs.

Look at Facebook...millions of photos of kids, pets, wives, dogs, homes are posted every single day. Kids have their own channels on YouTube. Kids have Instagram accounts. And lo and behold, kidnappings are NOT rampant. Stranger abductions, assaults, rapes, robberies are no worse than they ever were.

Yeah, something DID change: the paranoids were outvoted. The vast majority of people decided NOT TO LIVE IN FEAR of imagined crime, and took back control of their lives. THat's what people do in a free society: we live as free people, and we do not allow the imaginary fear of boogeymen rule our daily lives.

No idea as to the changes but I personally enforce a photo release form for every client, if they under the age of 18 then their parent or guardian will sign off for them, granting me permission to upload photos to social media, advertise, ect. I also offer the option of a privacy form to clients who wish to keep their family portraits offline. I have never had a client choose to fill out the privacy form though.

$think-of-the-children.jpg

Yeah, the paranoid, delusional people who feared "the internet" were finally realized to be paranoid,delusional nutjobs.

This. The news would run any sort of rubbish and mostly Moms would freak out. "Sexual predators are using facebook to steal your children!" **** like that.

When in reality it never happened and was just fear mongering by unethical "journalists".

The reality is that you are statistically more likely to be beaten, molested, kidnapped and killed by a close family member than a stranger.

Wow.. wear one tinfoil hat to a party and your marked for life I guess.. lol

Look at Facebook...millions of photos of kids, pets, wives, dogs, homes are posted every single day. Kids have their own channels on YouTube. Kids have Instagram accounts. And lo and behold, kidnappings are NOT rampant. Stranger abductions, assaults, rapes, robberies are no worse than they ever were.

Yeah, something DID change: the paranoids were outvoted. The vast majority of people decided NOT TO LIVE IN FEAR of imagined crime, and took back control of their lives. THat's what people do in a free society: we live as free people, and we do not allow the imaginary fear of boogeymen rule our daily lives.

Speak for yourself pal. I for one protect myself against boogeymen at all costs. Concertina Wire and anti-personnel mines in the front yard, gun emplacements on the roof - oh yes, I am ready. No Electric boogaloo in my yard buddy. Not a chance. You take all your colorful bandanas and your parachute pants and get to stepping pal - or you will find out what I mean when I say "face the music"...

Lol

This. The news would run any sort of rubbish and mostly Moms would freak out. "Sexual predators are using facebook to steal your children!" **** like that.

When in reality it never happened and was just fear mongering by unethical "journalists".

The reality is that you are statistically more likely to be beaten, molested, kidnapped and killed by a close family member than a stranger.

THIS ^^^^^^^^ to the 10th power.

I feel like the stories in articles like that are far and few between, though absolutely possible, in a world where 10 year olds use twitter actively, I think the safety lectures should be given to the children, not the parents. I have hundreds of pictures of my son on my personal and business sites. I know where he is at all times (usually wrapped around my neck screaming for cheetos) and my personal page is private, my business photos have watermarks and honestly, unless my 2 year starts climbing the tech tree and using my laptop freely I have no fear that he will be abducted through the internet.
For kids between the ages of 8-16 though, it seems to be a much bigger problem. I knew a mother (friend if my aunts) who has a young daughter (12) that is acting and singing. Shooting commercials and doing daytime specials on kids shows from time to time. This girl had multiple social media accounts her mother handled and did not have any privacy settings on, resulting in the similar story above, a man from Indonesia took her photos offline and made a few fake pages, trying to lure other men to pay for sexual acts or pay to "meet" with her in person. It was devastating and took a lot of internet cleanup for the mother and this girls networking manager. The scandal actually cost her a few gigs and now that 15, she's slowed down considerably and only shoots for a few low budget commercials and off brand shoe companies.

I post online (obviously) but do so with a fairly high level of discernment and caution. Oddly enough, I am more likely to post street photography or other peoples children than my own most times. As I afford my own family members a higher level of respect and privacy I suppose. I was considering this after a discussion with my wife, who is adamantly against any of our family being posted online, where as I walk a conservative side on it but more middle ground. My wife also of course doesn't usually like her photo taken and doesn't want her photo online either. I also listened to a debate on others children being posted online. someone went to a gathering, photographed their children and put it on facebook. Other people asked them to take it off facebook as their kids were in the background. So it is still a highly volatile issue it seems.

whatever side one is on, or middle ground, I think it is important to remember whatever posted is mostly lost control of and can be misappropriated or misused in a number of ways. Most of which are probably never even discovered so for one you hear about there could be a thousand no one knew about at all. when one posts something, it seems very normal as if showing it to friends they don't see the million or so people also that may see or use the image. What I do, is significantly censor what goes online, even my facebook, and those who are allowed on my personal facebook. So I tend to run multiple things. One more public, one just for family or close friends. I have yet to have any image copied or shared from my personal facebook since I started doing this. Where as before it was a sharing problem and I had to be more careful what I posted for family type photos on it. Privacy settings are a must for me as well.

while unlikely things have happened. I recall reading a article on burglaries where the robbers used facebook to figure out who was out of town and readily victims. So while the unlikihood of any such things may have the odds in ones favor. It seems debated as the risk is always there. There are suggestions for internet security far as not giving geotag locations, too much personal info (especially on minors) etc. which I am not sure can be totally discounted as unnecessary. The other more profound question could come in the realm of ethics (which me have posting others children on sites shows I may lack in this reguard) as you are making a choice for your minor or someone else for them possibly with or without their knowledge. And that comes closer to a question of should you have the right or even tact. If for instance someone or their child grows up and does not want a online personality, you have hence already begun to make that choice for them.

This was much of the debate I listened too, where as do you have the right or ethical right to do that as you waved this child or persons right to privacy without any consent. Do they have a right to be upset and request you remove what you post?
Those on my personal facebook now KNOW not to share photos I take, as I had made that step to remove anyone that would at this point. Especially of children without consent as they may not restrict their friends or public use tot he extent I do. Not that I haven't posted photos, but I limit and use it as I said with a level of discernment and only a fraction which would tend to go unnoticed. I limit exposure and use much of my photography in the same fashion with a level of censorship and audience.

From what I read, this is a mostly American phenomenon as well. The u.s. has the highest amount of users posting personal photos of themselves, others, children on line. So something considered normal in the u.s. (I have a thousand photos of my kids online and 800 facebook friends most of whom I don't know for example) may not be considered the norm on other parts of the globe. Which would also make one wonder if the u.s. and it's population could also be on the more carefree and less privacy oriented than say the norm.

All in how you see it.

Last edited:
I feel like the stories in articles like that are far and few between, though absolutely possible, in a world where 10 year olds use twitter actively, I think the safety lectures should be given to the children, not the parents.

I had a conversation with all three of my girls, several conversations each in fact - about what is and isn't appropriate to post on facebook, twitter, instagram, etc. My youngest in particular was stunned to learn that when she applies for jobs companies will go out and look at her facebook page, etc - and many will actually base their hiring decisions at least in part on what they find there. I told her and her older sisters that if your posting stuff about partying and getting crazy and being a rebel well odds are good at some point it will cost you job opportunities. It might go over well with other people your age, but most companies aren't likely to hire you if they think you are a wild child. We discussed safety and not posting or giving out personal information like address, phone numbers, etc - and also not putting people on your friends list if they are not people that you know personally. A little common sense can go an awfully long way really, even on the interwebs.

I feel like the stories in articles like that are far and few between, though absolutely possible, in a world where 10 year olds use twitter actively, I think the safety lectures should be given to the children, not the parents.

I had a conversation with all three of my girls, several conversations each in fact - about what is and isn't appropriate to post on facebook, twitter, instagram, etc. My youngest in particular was stunned to learn that when she applies for jobs companies will go out and look at her facebook page, etc - and many will actually base their hiring decisions at least in part on what they find there. I told her and her older sisters that if your posting stuff about partying and getting crazy and being a rebel well odds are good at some point it will cost you job opportunities. It might go over well with other people your age, but most companies aren't likely to hire you if they think you are a wild child. We discussed safety and not posting or giving out personal information like address, phone numbers, etc - and also not putting people on your friends list if they are not people that you know personally. A little common sense can go an awfully long way really, even on the interwebs.
my teenager is currently grounded from internet from breaking one of my internet rules. In fact I threw her ipad in the kitchen sink full of water. I think I got my message across i'm not kidding on online behavior.

When I do post pictures of children, or nearly anyone actually, I don't ever mention names on the internet.

my teenager is currently grounded from internet from breaking one of my internet rules. In fact I threw her ipad in the kitchen sink full of water. I think I got my message across i'm not kidding on online behavior.

Well that would do it - but kind of an expensive lesson I would think. Maybe just take it away from her next time? Just a thought.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back