Pound Puppies

IronMaskDuval

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Woot! I took my daughter out for her first ever volunteer day at the puppy shelter, and she was my second shooter. We went and did a photo shoot for the old timers who haven't found homes in over six months. Here's a preview. I'm so proud of her. I shot this with a Sony A7 and a 50mm 1.4 Planar. Hope you enjoy. I know vignette isn't everyone's thing but oh well.

*Edited to add collection

Col.jpg

Nina 1.jpg

Nina 2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, you two! These dogs spend so much time in their kennels that when they get out, it's on for them. It was a tough gig, especially with a manual focus lens.

Nice. Pretty dog. I am not a dog expert but I have visited a few animal shelters in the past year and it seems the majority of dogs there are pit pull type dogs. Not sure if that is a pit bull or not but many of them have that head.

Nice. Pretty dog. I am not a dog expert but I have visited a few animal shelters in the past year and it seems the majority of dogs there are pit pull type dogs. Not sure if that is a pit bull or not but many of them have that head.

She's a boxer mix. Perhaps she has pit in her. I'm not sure, but many of the ones that we took photos of had the "look."

She's a boxer mix. Perhaps she has pit in her. I'm not sure, but many of the ones that we took photos of had the "look."

I am curious now... Why is this the primary type dog in those shelters?

Here are two more. The first was taken by my daughter.

Marilyn 1.jpg

Roscoe.jpg

Other than the general public perception of them, these dogs can be territorial with their family. They're guard dogs. Unfortunately for these particular dogs, when people bring them in and claim that these dogs "lunged" at another one of their dogs, the shelter has to mark them as dog aggressive and so forth. All of them were so gentle with my daughter that had I had room for them, they'd all come home with me.

The breed of dog, even if it is a mixed breed, may exhibit signs of aggressiveness. Furthermore, some municipalities have banned such dogs, and the appearance of Pit Bull is key here. If some concerned resident reports the dog, the city will impound it. Our own little city has done so. One neighbor of mine had one, and was forced to relocate to another locale to keep her pet. (FYI I did not object to the dog.)

My son's former dog (a rescue dog) had "the look" and he hated men and big boys when they rescued him. Later, the dog came to live at my house, and actually did bite another neighbor.

Some people claim that Pit Bulls are no more dangerous than other breeds, but I'm not convinced. I think aggressiveness is inherent in the breed.

All the other (cuter) dogs have already been adopted, which is why the Pit Bull (or lookalikes) tend to outnumber the cute dogs.

...Some people claim that Pit Bulls are no more dangerous than other breeds, but I'm not convinced. I think aggressiveness is inherent in the breed...
I think that certain breeds (Pitbulls, Rottweillers especially) have a greater than normal protective instinct, which can trigger what we perceive as aggression, but is really just the animal doing its job. More importantly, these breeds suffer much higher abuse rates than many because of this very trait. They're often used as "guard dogs" by drug dealers and other elements of the refuse of society, where they're treated very, very badly.

Most reactions

Back