What's new

PowWow Pics C&C Please

DannyLewis

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 29, 2012
Messages
434
Reaction score
61
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
View attachment 20915View attachment 20916View attachment 20917
I shot part of the PowWow here last night. Here are but a few of half the card I filled up. I had no flash and did'nt use the one with the camera which was more of a mistake than I first thought. Other than no flash what else could I change. THey were taken with a T3i in Tv Mode with the shutter speed at 1/320. I did'nt use the center flash point as for most of the time there were many Dancer's on the floor and if they ask for a print out I would'nt want to give a pic with their face blurred out so I used all 9 point's. (wish it was 19 like the mark III) What can I do to make them look not so noisy (grainy) You might not see them in these pictures but some were really grainy and I was not to happy with the over all pictures but did manage to salvage enough for next PowWow's advertisement book. THank's for any and all input. I will check here tomorrow before heading out again. I need to be there by two. I had bought a third party flash off of ebay and it worked one day but come PowWow time it is dead and the camrea will not even read it, so I have to save and buy a good Canon so I dont get caught like this again. I am in a position to do good with a camrea but everything is falling apart as usual...thnx friend's and God Bless....DannyLewis
 
One bad thing about these is I have to put them on facebook and then take them from there to get them here. No other way to resize them unless I can do it in the canon software. I forgot to look there...sheesh....and the last picture is a lil girl that danced her boots off. THose kids were so amazing, and the regalia the dancers wore was just amazingly bright. Tomorrow is even a bigger day with the real pro dancers coming in...
 
It was all nation not just cherokee
 
Shooting indoor events can be a pain in the butt without proper equipment or knowhow. I've learned through my own mistakes that trying to shoot indoor events such as this without a flash, or at the very least one hell of a reflector, can be a nightmare. It likely doesnt help much now, but for future reference always scope out the area ahead of time and figure out all of your rough exposures. As for the photos, I don't have much to say, they lack a well-defined subject and are compositionally weak. Just keep shooting and learning, you'll get your shot!
 
One bad thing about these is I have to put them on facebook and then take them from there to get them here. No other way to resize them unless I can do it in the canon software. I forgot to look there...sheesh..
Danny, you can resize with the Canon DPP software - if you never loaded it, it should be on the CD that came with your camera. What I'd suggest is that you ALWAYS keep an un-edited, uncropped, un-resized ORIGINAL copy of all of your pictures, regardless of whether they're raw or JPEG. Then always work on COPIES. If you get really ambitious, you can create resized copies at 96 or 150 DPI max for online viewing, and keep the originals at 300 DPI for printing.

It does get to be a pain to keep track of things until you get the hang of it, but it saves you from the situation where someone want's a nice big print of one of your shots, and all you have is a 4x6 at 72 DPI or something.

The pix aren't too bad, your limiting factor here is simply that your lenses are not fast enough to let in enough light, and in that gymnasium there's simply not enough to get really good 'bright' shots. If you shoot raw images, you MIGHT be able to brighten them up a bit, you'll certainly be able to do more than if you had just JPEGs to start with. Canon's DPP can also work on the noise problem, I believe. Also, learn to move around a bit when you're framing your subject - the shot of all the dancers suffers a bit because of the gal on the left in the chair. If you moved to the right and reframed, you might have had a stronger compostion. Don't be afraid to crop, either - the little girl, and the Cherokee Queen, will benefit from cropping, IMHO.
 
I did'nt use the center flash point as for most of the time there were many Dancer's on the floor and if they ask for a print out I would'nt want to give a pic with their face blurred out so I used all 9 point's. (wish it was 19 like the mark III)

Danny,

there is a basic misunderstanding here.
More points does not give you more in focus.
You need to read the manual a little more closely.
 
Thank's to you all, I went and had a great night, won 84 and a half bux. Had a great time got to see Dancer's that have been off the curciut for a while and took gob's of pic's. The good thing is the third party flash I thought was dead got up for a while and helped me out some. It seems it wont work if you use the digi screen you have to turn it off and use the view finder. I like the pictures a little better but they arent what you guy's would put up for public viewing. I am in a small town and start shooting th ebasketball games soon so I will for quite some time need advice. I will try to post some pictures of the rest of the show tomorrow or monday. Thank's again. g-nite
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom