PP with LR problem

Jon0807

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've recently been using LR to do PP work and I love it for the most part. I was using Canon's DPP software but found it fairly limited. My only problem with LR is that I've noticed that in my landscape photos there seems to be a banding in the sky that never used to happen with DPP. I've only noticed it when I work with LR. Is there something I'm doing wrong with regards to any of the conversion from RAW to JPG? Or is there something else I'm doing wrong. Here's a sample of what I'm talking about. Hopefully the bands show up clearly.

Edited with DPP (and PS for border and name)
3336313131_fa4b05c42a.jpg

And this edited with LR
3895034595_2830fee566.jpg

I can clearly see a circular banding in the sky in the LR photo that's not showing in the DPP photo.

Thanks in advance and any advice is greatly appreciated.

What's the lightroom one look like completely un-edited? The saturation in the Lightroom image is very high, especially the blues.

Branding occurs in all software once you exceed the bounds of what the image data is capable of, or if you do dodgy conversions between different colour profiles and bitrates.

Here's the photo completely unedited. Straight conversion from RAW to JPG using LR.

3896108973_c9e54b1499.jpg

I can still almost see the banding on the left side of the photo. But I was playing with the saturation and vibrance and they both seem to accentuate the bands no matter how little or a lot I apply, even when I completely desaturate. I normally shoot in complete neutral settings in RAW so saturation adjustment is one of the things I always do. In DPP I boosted the saturation quite a bit as well.

And just for comparison here's the unedited version converted from DPP

3896101105_b8cb2fe33d.jpg

I've just noticed that the two pics are different even tho I haven't done anything to either one of them. I'll have to check my the export settings on LR...

Last edited:
Joshua Tree

Are you converting to jpg, then importing to LR and editing, or importing RAWs to LR, editing and then exporting as jpg? What does the original look like? The first one looks like cranking some serious color out of a RAW that wasn't there, the second one looks like cranking some serious color out of a jpeg that wasn't there.

What are your export settings? You should see banding like that when you export and unedited RAW. What qulity jpeg are you exporting?

Unless LR is doing something I'm not aware of, I thought I was importing to LR directly from RAW and working with RAW in DPP as well then converting to JPG.

What are your export settings? You should see banding like that when you export and unedited RAW. What qulity jpeg are you exporting?

Both are exported with high quality to JPG. It's just confusing me why it's happening with LR and not DPP when I'm basically doing the same types of editing.

Hmm the Lightroom defaults are far more saturated and contrastier than the DPP defaults. That's interesting, in the case of Nikon Capture it's the other way around.

You have me stumped...

I don't have LR, I use Photoshop and Adobe Camera RAW... But when you're saving the JPEG from LR, are you using the best quality setting? What colour space are you using (sRGB?). And does the image have the banding visible in LR before you save it?

I don't have LR, I use Photoshop and Adobe Camera RAW... But when you're saving the JPEG from LR, are you using the best quality setting? What colour space are you using (sRGB?). And does the image have the banding visible in LR before you save it?

I export at the highest settings and in sRGB and I can see the banding when I import so something is happening when I import into LR. I've been searching through the settings to see if there's anything I can find but nothing. I'll keep searching

What camera profile are you using? You might try another profile to see if that changes your results.

What camera profile are you using? You might try another profile to see if that changes your results.

I keep my camera on neutral and I always shoot in RAW. That way I can do all adjustments in PP. I've played around with LR quite a bit with a few photos that have the banding and nothing I can do makes it go away. It's something having to do with the way LR is importing the images and I don't see where I can change those settings. Guess I'll just have to switch to DPP when I notice banding in LR

Under "Develop" have a play with "Camera Calibration"

The Lightroom defaults are either too saturated and contrasty, or the calibration setting chosen is stuffed.

Play with those settings till the image looks like it does on DPP and then compare the branding. At the moment it's apples and green apples comparison :)

Oh and when you have something you like save it as a default for all imports.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back