Practicing my panning

bigtwinky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pierrebphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Trying to get a better handle on panning....How did I do?

4953068940_d50252c475_b.jpg

Wow - insane. I don't think I've seen panning like this before... This is something else, lol. Something better, lol.

No panning expert here but, isn't this a bit much?

It does look cool, mind you, but shouldn't you be able to say something (recognize) the background somewhat?

No panning expert here but, isn't this a bit much?

It does look cool, mind you, but shouldn't you be able to say something (recognize) the background somewhat?

hehe, I have no clue. Hence my posting and asking how I am doing. I'm unsure if there are specific conventions when it comes to panning.

As far as rating the panning itself.... Pretty darn good... :thumbup:

You can see how far the travel was from some of the "dashes" in the background, you can see the motion in the wheels, and a lot of the details in the bike are still clearly visible. Nice job.

Not caring for the B&W, however, and try zooming in to the subject a little more. The closer you are zoomed in to the moving object, the more challenging it becomes.

panning looks perfect in this picture. But it might look cooler as a pano? dunno.

Not caring for the B&W, however, and try zooming in to the subject a little more. The closer you are zoomed in to the moving object, the more challenging it becomes.

Thanks for the comments. It was shot with a prime, so zooming wasnt an option :) Been walking around lately with just a prime on and been having some fun. :)

It was shot with a prime, so zooming wasnt an option :) Been walking around lately with just a prime on and been having some fun. :)

Zooming is still an option.... do the shuffle and get your butt closer to the road. :lol:

Has some serious WoW to it for sure. I'd like to see it cropped a bit tighter to get more detail on the bike.

Free-handed or on a pod?

Remove the iso rectangle in the lower left. Smooth out the blokedness (is that a word?) in white above the rider and you're golden.

E.O.D., yes, absolutely.

It was shot with a prime, so zooming wasnt an option :) Been walking around lately with just a prime on and been having some fun. :)

Zooming is still an option.... do the shuffle and get your butt closer to the road. :lol:

True dat, but I was on top of a small cliff looking down onto the road. hehe, I'm good with excuses. :)

Free-handed or on a pod?

Totally free hand. Was coming back from shooting in a local stadium and decided to try some panning. Got a few others, a bicycle, a porsche, but this one came out the best IMO

Pretty good. When panning, the background has to be "right for it"...and this is "right for it". Your camera was swinging along perfectly tracking the motorcycle's exact rate of speed. This is a good panning shot! Panning is one of the situations where the stabilized lenses (IS,VR,OS,VC) really,really can help,especially when moving into the slow-speed panning range of from about 1/25 to 1/2 second.

Thanks for the comments and tips Derrel.

I'd give you a thanks, but dude, you have way too many already :)

Panning is great IMO but I agree that getting a bit in closer might be even better

I can't access the EXIF data. Just wanted to know what focal length was used here (I assume 200+ mm). The image looks great to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back