Praying Mantis

Travis F

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Still just introducing myself to various parts of the forum...

I let my macro lens go a while ago and have been regretting it ever since. I now realize that I loved shooting with that lens. Anyway, here are a few shots of a praying mantis that I liked.

I'll post one at the end using my current makeshift macro lens; Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 macro with 2x teleconverter. It actually works decently, although not nearly as well as the dedicated macro did :er:!

IMG_1715.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

And from the Sigma 24-70....
I know that light sucks! I was going for a bit of backlight to shine through the hollow shell but I ended up with too much lens flare and more shadows than I wanted. This is the only example I can think of using the 24-70 though...
973399471_ADx2z-X3.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Travis

Welcome to the macro section. I like these the best out of the threads you've posted today.

Really like that cicada shot. Nice light. :thumbup:

Really like that cicada shot. Nice light. :thumbup:

Thanks! I wasn't too sure of the light but I couldn't quite get it figured out the way I wanted it. I think I need a snoot on the strobe.

Those praying mantis shots are incredible.

Thanks!

All of these are great but I am really impressed with the first mantis shot. The detail is amazing.

Thank you. I think that I had a 2x TC on the Sigma 150 for that shot. I don't recall if it was at it's MFD but, It was larger than 1:1. Maybe not quite 2:1 though. That lens was extraordinarily sharp, even with the 2x TC. I really regret getting rid of it. the price has went up considerably since I bought/sold it too :x! That makes getting another one that much farther off.....

Thanks again everyone,
Travis

Most reactions

New Topics

Back