Preferred film for landscapes?

earthmanbuck

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just realized I've been hobby shooting film for about 10 years now (!), trying any and every type of film I can get my hands on. I've also just realized I actually do have a couple favourites I keep coming back to—Portra 400 and TMax P3200—for the kind of stuff I like to shoot, which is mostly people.

However, I've never really been able to crack what works for landscapes and nature shots—lots of hits and misses with various films, which I concede is probably at least partly my own errors. Does anyone have any favourite films that are consistently good at capturing the vibrancy of nature?

I like Portra. I've always used Kodak whatever (I think now it's called KodakMax). For B&W I use Kodak T Max or anything Ilford.

I find that getting a proper exposure is key and I rely on the meter to determine that. And maybe with a lot of years of experience you learn how to adjust for various conditions without thinking about it too much. I use whatever is in the fridge.

T-Max 100 in B&W, developed inT-Max developer was my 1980's fave for B&W landscapes. Such fine grain!

But I also shot a lot of Tri-X. Yes, it has a lot of visible grain,but "landscape" is variable, encompasses a lot of scenarios.

I like medium-speed color slide film for landscapes...something in the 64 to 100 speed range...

Plus-X and Tri-X were my favourites, early on developed in D-76 later in Rodinal. The grain in Tri-X was sharp enough to resolve just fine and its tone curve when matched with the spot metering contrast of the subject and developer time was magic.

For me I like to use Ilford Delta 100 BW and Extar 100 for landscapes. But I also like Fuji 400 as grain does not bother me, besides the grain is not that bad. I've enlarged Fuji 400 to 20x30 with great results.

Fuji 400.....

oPlFNXa.jpg

Last edited:
Try the Portra 160 rather than the 400 for landscapes. I know a lot of people like the vibrancy of Ektar or slide film, but I prefer more subtlety, which I find easier to achieve with the 160, especially when there is color in the sky.

Some examples:

rWindbreak
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

rHomestead
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Thanks for the tips, all.

Lot of years since film, and choices weren't as plentiful back then. For color I shot Kodachrome, then X, then II. B&W was Tri-X, for simplicity sake. Now even though I don't shoot film I do a lot of film simulations with Porta being my favorite for color and Illford for B&W.

Lot of years since film, and choices weren't as plentiful back then. For color I shot Kodachrome, then X, then II. B&W was Tri-X, for simplicity sake. Now even though I don't shoot film I do a lot of film simulations with Porta being my favorite for color and Illford for B&W.

Kodachrome X, Kodachrome II...jeeze...

I cannot get on board with Portra for landscapes...it looks so muted, so "color-effecty"..so muted..so much like an Instagram filter has been applied to lower saturation and contrast...I prefer a more-vibrant look, with colors closer to "reality"

Last edited:
Oh, it does not look like an Instagram filter! lol To get that look you'd have to scan it and photoshop the heck out of it!

The OP could try a roll of more than one different film and see what he/she likes best.

Kodachrome X, Kodachrome II...jeeze...

It was iconic man :allteeth:

Oh, it does not look like an Instagram filter! lol To get that look you'd have to scan it and photoshop the heck out of it!

The OP could try a roll of more than one different film and see what he/she likes best.

I agree, and also feel like sometimes slide film or Ektar is what looks exaggerated, oversaturated, and less like 'reality.' I feel like it can sometimes reduce a scene to just sort of primary colors and it loses more subtle gradations of tones that I find to be more interesting when shooting landscape in color.

The preferred color film for practically everything was Kodachrome. When Kodak pulled the plug on it, Fujistepped up to bat. Their offerings of Velvita 50 and 100 were accepted by many as the next best thing to Kodachrome. They are strong on greens, making for a lush setting. Kodak has some offerings that are good all arounders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Most reactions

Back