Pregnancy photoshoot next we, first time in a studio please help !!!

Coco0210

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I am new on the forum , i have been taking pictures as a hobby, and many times people told me i am taking nice pics. twice at weddings people had preferred mine than the ones of the photographer ! Now the mum is pregnant and asked me to take pregnancy pictures, she is 81/2 months pregnant and we rented a studio this w.e for 2 hours ...i am just so nervous as i don t really have the skills more the eye so anyone could give me advice or settings for my camera ? I got a canon d600 for christmas , didn t get a chance to use it much and got it with the basic lens. When i had before a olympus E510 ( still have it so i can use it ) ..don t have aditionnal flash gun at all. i was using the olympus with a closer lens...but .aperture, speed of shutter..everything is for me chinese..i went to photography courses, lightning one, but i think i forget theory...

so in the studio i will have this :
STUDIO SPACE

Backdrop approx 3 meters wide and up approx 3.5m high (White Vinyl)
Backdrop approx 3 meters wide and up approx 3.5m high (Black Paper)

Grey Wall and polished Laminate Floor

EQUIPMENT

Lighting – Bowens 1 x 750W and Bowens 2 x 500W
Tri – Reflector Kit (Silver / Gold / Screen)
100 Soft Box
115cm silver-white umbrella
Light meter and Trigger
Grid 60 Degree Reflector with 3 Honeycombs
(sizes 1/8th, 1/4th and 3/8th)

If a professional could give me some tips it will be really appreciated !!! I will post few pics

Unfortunately, this is so vague as to be virtually impossible to answer. You certainly have all of the equipment you need at your disposal. What I would suggest is that you discuss with the client the types of images she is expecting from the shoot, and then spend time on YouTube watching lighting tutorials on how to acheive it. I would suggest simple one and two light set-ups, use a relatively small aperture (at leas f8) to ensure sufficient DoF and keep your shutter speed at max sync. I assume included, but not listed is a triggering system for the monolights? Remember too that having the light closer, with lower power will almost always produce a more pleasing result than farther away at higher power.

Thanks ! That s help anyway ;-). I am doing this for free so the mum is opened to my suggestions...!

Please do not post images to which you do not own rights; you may post links instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I d like to achieve these kind of pics..i searched some , quick on the web to show you...

I think you need to give your user manual a good read so you can understand the elements involved. Here's an article explaining the "Exposure Triangle" (ISO, aperture & shutter speed) knowing these 3 things is a MUST and if you're already putting out great work like you said, then learning the basic elements will make your work great once you've figured it out. It took me almost 6 months to get the nerve to put my camera in manual mode and haven't put it into another auto mode since. You also need to read up on lighting if you are trying to replicate any of those images.

Here's the exposure triangle article: Learning about Exposure - The Exposure Triangle - Digital Photography School

That article was very helpful for me in the beginning and dumbs it down for begginers with no photographic knowledge.

I d like to achieve these kind of pics..i searched some , quick on the web to show you...

Hi, Coco0210, and welcome to the forum!

FYI: this site does not allow posting of any photographs that you do not own the rights to. You can take the images down and post a link to them.

Now if you've got all that equipment, we might presume that you already know how to use it.

Now if you've got all that equipment, we might presume that you already know how to use it.
THe OP is renting the equipment and a studio for the photo shoot ...

doesn't own anything but a Canon d600 ...

It sounds like you feel you have an eye for photography and have equipment (edit - have rented equipment) but it seems like you still need to do more learning and practice. Your friends and family like your photos, they're probably being supportive, that's different than providing photos for paying customers. I think if someone has talent it needs to be developed which takes time. I don't think jumping into trying to do a photo session with a client seems realistic if you don't yet feel confident in what to do.

Besides increasing photography skills it takes learning the business aspects of doing this. What happens if a client is unhappy with the photos? or if none of the photos turn out well? I think it's necessary to be prepared for situations that could occur. I would refer someone to a more established experienced photographer while learning and developing skills so you can be successful in doing photography for others.

And now that I think about it, if this is your first time in a studio and you're having to ask for help on a message board, that doesn't seem like you're ready to do this. It's going to take more than some advice on a message board I think to be able to do studio work.

I've been a photographer for years and have done events, sports, fine art photos, etc. but I've never done studio work - if I wanted to do that I'd go take a class, find a working photographer to observe, etc. and learn how to use the equipment and practice before I tried doing a session for someone.

Well , i am doing it for free and the mum is a friend...i am not planning of making a business...seems that people out there, are bit annoyed by people who are beginners and want to enter the world of photography...DESIGNER even if i would have all that equipment wouldn t assume i might know how to use it ( spoiled people exist )..well it is in the studio the girl rented. I know that i have to learn from beginning ...but i was just asking few tips maybe from people who use to take pregnancy pics, about pose, light ...as i don' t have much time...well will do what i can and maybe will post my pics and get some constructive cristicism...thanks AMBER for your advice..i will definitivly look at those links.

since you'll be doing this .. here's a little help from a newbie of lighting/posing

search google too for
pregnancy posing
maternity posing

and get your visual ideas from there
show your mum the pictures and see which ones they like.
have them select clothing before hand and see if the concepts will work.

So look closely at the photo poses. - the feet position, leg angles, stomach angles, facial expression, eyes where looking, body angles, hand/finger location, arm angles .. at least get some poses that they would want to have.

**** practice with them before going to the studio on the poses.

as for the lighting ...
From your list it mentions Trigger .... that would be a device to "trigger" the flashes to work
unfortunately, I cannot hep your beyond that. I am only familiar with my equipment but you were given idea above. Lighting is an 'art" all unto it's own.

fyi, posing in general is difficult .. so much to learn. But if you pick some poses and try to duplicate in every nuance then the pose may be okay.

Good luck

Most reactions

New Topics

Back