Present advice

ZapoTeX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

my aunt shoots a Nikon D40. She pretty much always uses the auto settings (Auto or P, rarely A or T, never ever M). I would like to get her a birthday present, which is going to be a little fatter than usual because of all the help she's giving to my family.

My pick would be a D3200: high res (which she would enjoy when she prints large-format calendars with her holiday shots, which she does every year) and not too many (confusing more than helpful) controls and dials.

And... a couple of lenses. Recommendations? Total budget would be around 1,500, which leaves about 900 for lenses.

My idea would be a kit 18-105, which would only be 50 bucks. She does mostly landscapes, then my next favorite would be a wide angle. Which one?

Or a prime tele (she also likes details in landscapes... etc...)

Advices welcome!

Is this for the aunt?
Why buy her a new camera if she's not maxing out the capability of the one she has? What difference is buying her the new body going to make? Not much if any.
I'd buy her some good glass to give her some lower light capability and maybe photoshop elements or something.

Yep people always think a newer body is the answer. When in fact adding better glass and flash would help her out more.

Barring that would think buying her a class in photography to get her off P & Auto modes. So she can grow and actually master any new glass & flash you may gift her with.

How about a local camera store gift certificate. That way, she can get what she truly has her heart set on, whether it be glass, flash, tripod.....

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for all your answers!

Book and course are a great idea. I'll get them, lenses and, because I need the present to look nice, I'll still get the body too. I know it's technically wrong, but the present needs to look good :)

Thanks again

Most reactions

New Topics

Back