Preset lenses on DSLRs: the old world of creamy OOF backgrounds

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.federicobuchbinder.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A couple days ago a preset lens fell on my lap. I didn't even know what a preset lens was so I was surprised to find what I thought were two aperture rings instead of one – see the second photo. (Read more about preset lenses here.)

My "new" lens is a Tokyo Koki Tele-Tokina 135mm f2.8. It has a T/T2 mount, a sort of universal mount like Tamron's Adaptall 2, so there are adaptors to mount the lens on cameras of different makes. My lens came with adaptors for Nikon and Minolta SR. There's not much info on this lens online, so I've no clue when it was made. Since the SR mount was replaced in 1966, I assume the lens is at least 46 years old. The Tokina quality is immediately apparent on the build, regardless of the age.

p1484888822-4.jpg

p1484888874-4.jpg

Doing some googling I learned that preset lenses create the sweetest blurred backgrounds, and even give a feel of 3D.

Anybody has any experience with them?

Last edited:
I guess that it is because preset lenses allow the use of more iris blades quite easily, because you move the blades into position instead of the camera doing it.

I still use a preset 28 mm Schneider PC Super Angulon, and I used to have quite a few more - mostly for 8 mm and 16 mm Bolexes, but I also had some for Nikon (via T2) in focal lengths I used rarely. They weren't always great lenses.

Here's the Super Angulon. You can switch between mounts easily. You can see the preset knob/lever just behind the aperture setting ring, at the top of the lens. The marked ring does nothing except limit the angular movement of the lever. The lever moves the iris itself.

SK-PC-SA.jpg

Last edited:
I guess that it is because preset lenses allow the use of more iris blades quite easily, because you move the blades into position instead of the camera doing it.
An associated perk of preset lenses is that you don't need to limit yourself to the apertures marked on the barrel (2.8, 4, etcetera). You can stop down the lens in increments as small as you want, to achieve the depth of field you need with surgical accuracy. This is an advantage over traditional lenses (albeit a minor one).

By the way, that's a handsome-looking lens you have there, Helen.

Right, there's that. I'm not sure that 'surgical accuracy' and 'depth of field' belong together, however.

Looks like a nice lens, and a nice find. Tokina made a lot of lenses sold under other names. It's nice to see the Tokina name on a Tokina lens. Most 135's of that time were F3.5, 135/2.8's were very popular in the mid 60s and later.

An associated perk of preset lenses is that you don't need to limit yourself to the apertures marked on the barrel (2.8, 4, etcetera). You can stop down the lens in increments as small as you want, to achieve the depth of field you need with surgical accuracy. This is an advantage over traditional lenses (albeit a minor one).

By the way, that's a handsome-looking lens you have there, Helen.

If you're referring to the click-stops of lenses with a manual aperture ring, it is possible to 'de-click' them. Many lenses have this operation done (ha ha!... surgery again!) in order to use the lens for videos and cinematography.

If you're referring to the click-stops of lenses with a manual aperture ring, it is possible to 'de-click' them. Many lenses have this operation done (ha ha!... surgery again!) in order to use the lens for videos and cinematography.
I was referring to that and of course to the selection of the aperture on the camera via the dials. I wouldn't even think of attempting performing surgery on a lens – it'd be malpractice.

I "Declicked" a 1950s Voigtlander 50/1.5 Nokton, found in a thrift store. The anti-reflection paint had peeled, and was bouncing around in the lens. Found out the Ball-Bearing used for the "clicks" sits in spring-loaded hole. Launched it across the room, into the carpet- never to be seen again. It was like a BB gun, and "I'm lucky I didn't shoot my eye out with that thing!" Most lenses have a ball bearing kept under a flat spring, screwed into place. "others don't..." The lens cleaned up beautifully, painted a new coat of black on side of the glass element.

I have a 300mm preset Kilfitt. I bought it many years ago to use with my Exakta and later picked up a Nikon mount for my F2's. I had it out a couple months ago to test it on the D200, but it never happened. One of these days

I have a few preset lens and the Takumar 200 3.5 is my favorite so far. It took me while to find the right adapter to work with this lens. Others didn't work so well, I had to pay a good price for a Bower adapter($35). It worked so well that I have another one on the way. I do agree with Invisble about the aperture selections. I sometimes find myself shoot inbetween to different settings.

Dog in Park 01 by Jarrett_Hunt, on Flickr

who's behind me? by Jarrett_Hunt, on Flickr

Both were taken at F8

Why don't they continue to to produce preset lens? Are they not compatible with the new auto focus systems?

I "Declicked" a 1950s Voigtlander 50/1.5 Nokton, found in a thrift store. The anti-reflection paint had peeled, and was bouncing around in the lens. Found out the Ball-Bearing used for the "clicks" sits in spring-loaded hole. Launched it across the room, into the carpet- never to be seen again. It was like a BB gun, and "I'm lucky I didn't shoot my eye out with that thing!" Most lenses have a ball bearing kept under a flat spring, screwed into place. "others don't..." The lens cleaned up beautifully, painted a new coat of black on side of the glass element.
It looks like you didn't "declick" the lens... It actually "declicked" itself :)

I have a 300mm preset Kilfitt. I bought it many years ago to use with my Exakta and later picked up a Nikon mount for my F2's. I had it out a couple months ago to test it on the D200, but it never happened. One of these days
I remember you mentioning the Kilfitt on another thread. Let me know if you decide to get rid of the one with the Nikon mount :)

I have a few preset lens and the Takumar 200 3.5 is my favorite so far. It took me while to find the right adapter to work with this lens. Others didn't work so well, I had to pay a good price for a Bower adapter($35).
You paid more for the adapter than I paid for my lens – these are strange times. You have a beautiful dog, and nice photos of him/her. That looks like a very nice lens too.

No idea why they stopped making preset lenses. Preset lenses require an extra step by the photographer (stop down after focusing) – I guess they wanted to make things easier for us.

"I remember you mentioning the Kilfitt on another thread. Let me know if you decide to get rid of the one with the Nikon mount :)"

You'll be the first to know. It's actually only one lens. The nice thing about pre-set lenses is, there's no mechanical linkage between the lens and the body. With the Kilfitt, you bought one lens, and then just bought screw-on mounts for each camera you own. This way you could own a Nikon, Pentax and Leica, and only have to buy one lens and 3 mounts.
They are a little slower. You preset your aperture, open wide to focus, then twist down to the "preset" setting. Not real practical for sports, but for anything slower paced, they worked great.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back