preventing/correcting color reflections

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is there a way to prevent clothing from reflecting its color onto skin? See photo below:

IMG_3387.jpg

Thats not realy from the clothes. This is a white balance lighting issue and not a clothing issue really.

Thats not realy from the clothes. This is a white balance lighting issue and not a clothing issue really.

oh really?! wow, I figured since it was orange it was from the clothes. Also, the other day I took a photo of my daughter wearing pink and her chin was pink...wb too I assume. I always use auto wb guess I'll have to work on that.

I would think that part of it is a reflection from the bright color of the clothes. The solution is to change the clothes.

Part of good portrait photography, is dictating the clothing that your subjects are wearing. Bright colors & busy patterns are usually bad choices because they make for distracting elements in a photo.

Also, in your example photo, the saturation looks to have been cranked up. Usually for portraits, you want to limit the saturation. Too much saturation (especially red tones) tends to make skin look less than ideal.

I would think that part of it is a reflection from the bright color of the clothes. The solution is to change the clothes.

Part of good portrait photography, is dictating the clothing that your subjects are wearing. Bright colors & busy patterns are usually bad choices because they make for distracting elements in a photo.

Also, in your example photo, the saturation looks to have been cranked up. Usually for portraits, you want to limit the saturation. Too much saturation (especially red tones) tends to make skin look less than ideal.

great! thank you for that advice. This was just a snapshot I took and was messing around with exposure in LR. I will keep the saturation levels in mind, as well as the clothing colors!

No doubt, the color of clothes reflect on peoples faces all the time if you're not careful, and the child's left cheek is definately orange because of the shirt. Some whites will flouresce from strobed lighting (flash) too.

It can also a problem when using colored backgrounds. Using a green screen can be a real pain, and an all white background can also be problematic, as can using bounce flash off of colored walls or ceilings.

Using image editing software you select the orange spot, feather the selection, and adjust the tone inside the selected spot selected to get rid of the orange color cast.

use hue-sat on an adjustment layer and mask. feathering will be too imprecise and without an adjustment layer destructive.

(nevermind the sloppy mask - you get the idea)

6774107871_426130bf85_z.jpg

overall, though I do agree that reds are too saturated, and the majority of the problem can be fixed by simply selecting 'reds' in hue/sat and decreasing sat.

I agree with unpopular, that's the easiest, most efficient, and most non-destructive way to do this in my opinion.

Yeah.. Bright colors is a bad choice if your are doing portrait but if you are on fashion photography this can't be avoided for the one focus on the image is the clothes not particularly the person who wear it.. Do some color correction after taking the photos to enhance it and change color to match the theme of the photo..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back