Price of Nikon D300 after D300s?

I'm just gonna throw this out there. I know I'm gonna get flack for it but hey here it goes.
When I think of a professional DSLR The absolutely last thing I would ever think about was shooting video with it. I mean seriously..Why are companies trying to cram this technology into this realm. When I think of a Mamiya or a Hasselblad PRO camera I would be shocked to see one that shoots video and most likely appalled. If Nikon brought out a D300s and promoted it due it's apparent ability to shoot video.... I would divorce Nikon completely and switch To Canon. Thought 5D mark II has been pushed for it's video capabilities, It is not the sole selling factor for that camera. A DSLR is for a photographer. If you want to shoot video get a video camera. A 2500 video camera would not the socks off a 5d MII in terms of video. I hope Nikon does drop the price on the D300 but I hope they don't do something dumb just to try to keep up with Canon. I read a rumor that the D300s or D400 (the next in line whatever it may be) is supposed to be 15MP and have a wider Iso Range than the current model. Any other rumors heard?

^^^ oh noes... please don't start this fight again. :lol: I agree with you, but don't start it! :lol:

I've been eying on an SLR for a while to photo fast moving animals. I almost ordered a D90, but I read many consistent & duplicated issues with D90, some kind of lens connection problem, and many people are getting the same type of error messages.

HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah ha ha ha.
Since the D90 is an entry level camera a lot of inexperience photographers are using the camera.

I read a lot of forums and haven't heard of a single recurring issue other than users who didn't read their manual and haven't a clue WTF they are doing and then bad mouth the camera because they are inept and don't know it's their fault and there is nothing wrong with the camera.

Maybe, I just read the wrong forums......NAH!:lol::lol::lol:
When you spend this kind of money, you expect the purchased item to function without issues. Thoese complaints by the D90 owners kept me holding on purchase, I just didn't want to pay for a possibly badly designed camera with a regreat afterward. The D300 doesn't seem to have consistent complains lately (after they had fixed some kid of screen issues a few years ago). I feel safe enough to get a D300 now. I generally bypass a first generation or early generation hardwares............
So when it comes to digital cameras you're always one generation behind. That's ok, that works. I have a DSLR that's 2 generations back, a D1X.

Do you mean the lens contact error issue in D90 is only for those who don't know how to read the manual or by those who are inexperienced with dealing with a SLR? I wish that's really the case. It it was, I'll jump onto a D90, but I I still have doubt now regarding how the D90 is designed or built. I really wanted to own a D90, but I just can't put that kind of money in a hardware many people claim to have consistent issues with. A few years ago I have had a bad experience with a LCD computer monitor, which I had purchased against the people's opinions, then I had a horrible owning experience. Sending the monitor to the manufacturer back and forth multiple times, costing me the shipping charges that I wasn't supposed to be paying. Plus the downtime when I didn't have the monitor. I just don't like taking a risk of owning a piece of hardware with questionable reliability. Wait, there are more complaints. I used to have more trust in these Japanese products years ago. I've been lately noticing more quality issues in the products by for example Nikon, Sony, Nissan just to name a few. What's up with that? If you pay the price for a product, the product has to be defect free. It doesn't have to be Japanese products. Anything made by the know companies. It's so retarded the company doesn't even acknowledge the problems that many owners claim to have been experiencing, and that have been documented online. That totally sucks, and it makes me steer away not only from that particular product, but from that company now because I feel I can't trust the company itself. I really wanted to buy a D90. If Nikon acknowledged or had gotten some sort of valid explanations or a particular warranty to cover the particular lens contact error problem at least, I might have bought a D90. But I just can't get over the possibility of the particular hardware issues of D90 from what I have read. So I have to consider D300 instead. I am also thinking of a Canon 40D or 50D. My first consideration was D90. This sucks. I have kept postponing my SLR purchase as the result.:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

I've been eying on an SLR for a while to photo fast moving animals. I almost ordered a D90, but I read many consistent & duplicated issues with D90, some kind of lens connection problem, and many people are getting the same type of error messages.

HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah ha ha ha.
Since the D90 is an entry level camera a lot of inexperience photographers are using the camera.

I read a lot of forums and haven't heard of a single recurring issue other than users who didn't read their manual and haven't a clue WTF they are doing and then bad mouth the camera because they are inept and don't know it's their fault and there is nothing wrong with the camera.

Maybe, I just read the wrong forums......NAH!:lol::lol::lol:
When you spend this kind of money, you expect the purchased item to function without issues. Thoese complaints by the D90 owners kept me holding on purchase, I just didn't want to pay for a possibly badly designed camera with a regreat afterward. The D300 doesn't seem to have consistent complains lately (after they had fixed some kid of screen issues a few years ago). I feel safe enough to get a D300 now. I generally bypass a first generation or early generation hardwares............
So when it comes to digital cameras you're always one generation behind. That's ok, that works. I have a DSLR that's 2 generations back, a D1X.

Do you mean the lens contact error issue in D90 is only for those who don't know how to read the manual or by those who are inexperienced with dealing with a SLR? I wish that's really the case. It it was, I'll jump onto a D90, but I I still have doubt now regarding how the D90 is designed or built. I really wanted to own a D90, but I just can't put that kind of money in a hardware many people claim to have consistent issues with. A few years ago I have had a bad experience with a LCD computer monitor, which I had purchased against the people's opinions, then I had a horrible owning experience. Sending the monitor to the manufacturer back and forth multiple times, costing me the shipping charges that I wasn't supposed to be paying. Plus the downtime when I didn't have the monitor. I just don't like taking a risk of owning a piece of hardware with questionable reliability. Wait, there are more complaints. I used to have more trust in these Japanese products years ago. I've been lately noticing more quality issues in the products by for example Nikon, Sony, Nissan just to name a few. What's up with that? If you pay the price for a product, the product has to be defect free. It doesn't have to be Japanese products. Anything made by the know companies. It's so retarded the company doesn't even acknowledge the problems that many owners claim to have been experiencing, and that have been documented online. That totally sucks, and it makes me steer away not only from that particular product, but from that company now because I feel I can't trust the company itself. I really wanted to buy a D90. If Nikon acknowledged or had gotten some sort of valid explanations or a particular warranty to cover the particular lens contact error problem at least, I might have bought a D90. But I just can't get over the possibility of the particular hardware issues of D90 from what I have read. So I have to consider D300 instead. I am also thinking of a Canon 40D or 50D. My first consideration was D90. This sucks. I have kept postponing my SLR purchase as the result.:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Exactly. I've been having a lens contact issue with my D90 and my Tamron 17-50 f2.8. To say that I merely need to read the manual or that I'm inept is the most asanine thing I've heard in awhile. Trust me....I know my way around this camera probably as well as anybody could. If the camera stops autofocusing....it stops autofocusing. If nothing but removing and remounting the lens fixes it....then....well you get the point.

So.....now I'm in the situation of WHAT TO DO. I had never heard of this issue until I had it and it didn't develop until a couple months after getting the camera. Of course, it doesn't do it with every lens (even of the same likeness), and the issue has come up with a variety of third party lenses from Tamron and Sigma.

So, do I sell my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (which I friggin' love), sell the D90 (can't afford a D300), or what? I've sent Tamron an email asking them since it is only with my Tamron lens that I"ve had this problem so far......no answer.

I wouldn't mind trading my Tarmon 17-50 f2.8 for a 28-75 f2.8.....but seriously I shouldn't have to. The lens is 5 months old and the camera is 4 months old.....the biggest problem is that it's specific to a certain lens in combination to a certain D90 so which do I send in for warranty? Bleh....I honestly would have kept my D70s and saved for the D300 if I had known about this issue and how common it seems to be.

But yeah.....I just need to read my manual and all my worries are gone.:lmao:

Exactly. I've been having a lens contact issue with my D90 and my Tamron 17-50 f2.8. To say that I merely need to read the manual or that I'm inept is the most asanine thing I've heard in awhile. Trust me....I know my way around this camera probably as well as anybody could. If the camera stops autofocusing....it stops autofocusing. If nothing but removing and remounting the lens fixes it....then....well you get the point.

So.....now I'm in the situation of WHAT TO DO. I had never heard of this issue until I had it and it didn't develop until a couple months after getting the camera. Of course, it doesn't do it with every lens (even of the same likeness), and the issue has come up with a variety of third party lenses from Tamron and Sigma.

So, do I sell my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (which I friggin' love), sell the D90 (can't afford a D300), or what? I've sent Tamron an email asking them since it is only with my Tamron lens that I"ve had this problem so far......no answer.

I wouldn't mind trading my Tarmon 17-50 f2.8 for a 28-75 f2.8.....but seriously I shouldn't have to. The lens is 5 months old and the camera is 4 months old.....the biggest problem is that it's specific to a certain lens in combination to a certain D90 so which do I send in for warranty? Bleh....I honestly would have kept my D70s and saved for the D300 if I had known about this issue and how common it seems to be.

That totally sucks, NateS. My sympathy to you. I'm sorry to hear that. Why da hell the innocent consumers have to get victimized by irresponsible company after the customers pay ca$h to the company for purchase??? Do you really think it's an isolated fluke incident by only NateS and the other few owners? I don't think so!!!!!!!! This is rediculous. Those who are in denial thinking there's nothing wrong with the D90, you are WRONG. You see this is what really worries me about getting a D90, or now a Nikon product. NateS, is that a plastic lens contact, or a metal contact? Nikon is really making me angry and frustrated. Dude, the owners of the D90s with this issue should class action Nikon's A$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!! :x:x:x:x:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

I want it all, I want it now, I want it better, I want it faster, I want to pay less, and it has to be bug free too.

Now many of these a mutually exclusive. Pick one. But unfortunately impatient consumers and the need to make money has picked already. A few bugs ultimately won't piss off the entire customer base. Lets face it if it did Canon would have no customers after the 1D MkIII AF debacle.

D300s. It's just like the old D300 except now it overheats, burns your hand, and drains the battery in a matter of hours. Apple seems to have implemented this feature in the iPhone 3Gs and it's been a huge hit with customers. :lmao:

That totally sucks, NateS. My sympathy to you. I'm sorry to hear that. Why da hell the innocent consumers have to get victimized by irresponsible company after the customers pay ca$h to the company for purchase??? Do you really think it's an isolated fluke incident by only NateS and the other few owners? I don't think so!!!!!!!! This is rediculous. Those who are in denial thinking there's nothing wrong with the D90, you are WRONG. You see this is what really worries me about getting a D90, or now a Nikon product. NateS, is that a plastic lens contact, or a metal contact? Nikon is really making me angry and frustrated. Dude, the owners of the D90s with this issue should class action Nikon's A$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!! :x:x:x:x:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Yeah, sucks bad. See, I love the Nikon System....menu layout, dual control wheels, etc... and I am really used to it. My options with NIkon are to sell and get a D80 (blah) or to save up and get a D300 (can't afford).

I'm honestly considering selling all my gear and picking up a used Canon 40d, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, and whatever the equivalent to the SB-600 is.

2 things that scare me away from switching systems.

1. Learning the new system when I'm so comfortable with Nikon's overall layout.

2. Off camera Lighting. I love how well CLS works with off camera lighting. I have literally no idea how or how well the Canon's wireless system is (if there even is one)...all I know is that everybody says that Nikon is much better than Canon in this area.

If I could get passed those two things I would sell it all in a heartbeat and switch to Canon (though I'd have to sell seperately because of the issue with this lens and camera combo).

If the D300s is coming soon, it's going to be a pointless "upgrade"

From the supposed specs I have seen on various websites, it doesnt change anything like sensor, resolution, iso performance, autofocus, or anything like that. Just basically gives video and a few other stupid upgrades. Hopefully its more than this, but it doesnt look like thats the case. If this is true, you might as well buy a D300 now while its dropping in price or save to get a D700

X2

There is no major ground breaking changes they can make. All Nikon can do is fine tune a few small aspects. NOT worth the price difference they will charge over the D300, even before the D300 started dropping in price.

I see nothing that will be so much better, not until they have a major update will you see a DX king again. Body differences aside, a D300s is almost a D90.

If the D300s is coming soon, it's going to be a pointless "upgrade"

From the supposed specs I have seen on various websites, it doesnt change anything like sensor, resolution, iso performance, autofocus, or anything like that. Just basically gives video and a few other stupid upgrades. Hopefully its more than this, but it doesnt look like thats the case. If this is true, you might as well buy a D300 now while its dropping in price or save to get a D700

X2

There is no major ground breaking changes they can make. All Nikon can do is fine tune a few small aspects. NOT worth the price difference they will charge over the D300, even before the D300 started dropping in price.

I see nothing that will be so much better, not until they have a major update will you see a DX king again. Body differences aside, a D300s is almost a D90.

I wouldn't say that exactly, as the D300 and D90's are worlds apart, but it'll basically just be a D300 with video.

I considered the two when I bought my DX camera, and end image wise, I didn't see a big difference. FPS, Card Type, and Metering, are the big differences I saw, with only one (metering), mattering to the average D90 user.

Don't forget the better low ISO performance, being water/dust proof, 51-point autofocus vs. the D90's 11-point autofocus, and don't forget the sexy factor. :)

Personally, I like my 8 FPS.

All valid points, however the sexy factor is a D700, 200-400 and sb900. :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back