pricing photo usage for the web...

kalee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i received the following email this morning:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Hi There,

I am interested in using some of your ND Landscape photos on a website for a site we are developing in Jamestown, ND. Could you give me a price per photo for displaying on the web?

Best Regards,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

i've never 'sold' an image for website usage.
what do i charge? what should the terms be?
it's certainly not the same as selling a print, is it?

thank you for any help!

I'm not an expert on marketing photographs for display on the internet, but here is a thought that came to my mind when I read your post.

It might be in your best interest to sell them at a very reasonable price in exchange for the site also including information about where they got the photographs (a link to your web site).

I'm just thinking out loud. But I can't help with any suggestions about the price.

Well you could a do it as a lump sum or as a royalty style thing where you get $0.02 (random figure) for every website visit. Or page view with one of your pictures on.

A royalty is likely to be very hard for any average customer to administer, I can't see it happening.

afghanjohn's idea is a good one, or if you think you could sell these landscapes as prints, perhaps give them use in return for a link to your website selling prints?

Stock photography images usually work out to between $2-$5 per image depending on required resolution. It wouldn't be unreasonable for you to charge say $20.00 per image if they want just a few.

Though I still say, maybe combine the above idea's.... $20.00 per image, $10.00 per image if they link to your website or you selling prints?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back