prime lens?

cosmoepic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
what are the benefits to a prime lens over a zoom?

might be a silly question, but Ive always wondered if i get a prime lens 50mm, is there gonna be a big difference between that and my zoom lens set to 50mm

There are many topics on here discussing that. But Primes usually have better quality since they have less elements inside that the light has to pass through. And if you are thinking about getting the 50mm 1.8 get it. It's cheap but has great quality

Image quality is the big difference. Also, many prime lenses have larger maximum apertures than zoom lenses.

Because a prime lens doesn't change it's focal length, everything is optimized for that length. When they design a zoom lens, there are compromises that are made, especially with the cheaper zoom lenses.

exactly what i thought thanks guys and i am thinking about 50mm 1.8 tx check is comin soon......and i got some lenses to buy :)

They also tend to be cheaper than zoom lenses for faster lenses. I can't currently afford some of the big pro lenses at $1800 a pop, but the 50mm and 35mm prime (approx $500 put together) lenses and my feet work just fine until I can save up ;)

Maximum aperture size is the main reason I choose to use a prime lens. I also like that they tend to be smaller and cheaper. I don't notice a significant image quality difference between primes and modern zooms. If I did I wouldn't use zooms. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back