Primes. Do theu really make you a better photog?

belial

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This could end up heated but I'm asking as I'm at the stage where I can pick and choose which path to take. And how about primes for future pro use? Seems to me they wouldn't be versatile enough for say weddings.

First of all, NO. Gear does not make you a better photographer. Primes Vs. telephoto, covered a few times in recent months. Choose your tools and work with them.

See Trevor and I are going to disagree as I say Yes and No. Will it make you technically a better photographer, no. Will primes make you see and work a situation differently and in doing so impart knowledge you didn't already possess, Yes. Question is do you need or want that knowldge and skill sets you may or may not use.

Primes. Do theu really make you a better photog?
Only if you learn how to use them.

Just having a prime lens does not make you a better photograper, but using a prime lens tends to make you think about what you are wanting to accomplish with a photo, than using a zoom lens does.

KmH said:
Only if you learn how to use them.

Just having a prime lens does not make you a better photograper, but using a prime lens tends to make you think about what you are wanting to accomplish with a photo, than using a zoom lens does.

Yeah I meant learning to use them.

Well it probably means you will have faster glass...and what does that ultimately mean? Faster glass! :mrgreen:

camz said:
Well it probably means you will have faster glass...and what does that ultimately mean? Faster glass! :mrgreen:

I do agree that manufacturers need to make zooms faster

This could end up heated but I'm asking as I'm at the stage where I can pick and choose which path to take. And how about primes for future pro use? Seems to me they wouldn't be versatile enough for say weddings.

I use primes all the time during weddings. I think the only time tend to use my zooms on weddings during flash work as I don't need the faster glass. Not versatile enough is not true, being that it's typically faster makes it versatile imho.

camz said:
I use primes all the time during weddings. I think the only time tend to use my zooms on weddings during flash work as I don't need the faster glass. Not versatile enough is not true, being that it's typically faster makes it versatile imho.

But youre limited a lot in focal lengths are you not?

I think the argument about primes held a lot more weight in the older days when zooms really were, at a technical level, worse than primes for performance. These days we've amazing zooms which can perform fantastically well - well enough that they significantly reduce the advantage of primes (at a technical level).

As for the argument of primes making you a "better" photographer. Eh the main argument there is that the prime removes a layer of choice and thought, which is what focal length to use. Primes give you one focal length, so you've got no choice unless you take the longer process of changing lenses - and if you're using more than one prime at an event chances are they'll have big differences in their angles of view so its really a clear choice as to which would suit best for a given shot.

This removal of a thought process essentially forces one to frame the shot with their feet, not with the zoom (honestly I doubt either approach is any more pure or perfect than the other) and it also means that since you're not shifting the zoom around youre able to devote more attention to the scene.

It's one of those things that, as you gain more experience, become a lesser issue as more of the cameras operation shifts to the back of your mind as second nature.

Also don't forget many that advocate primes grew up with primes; in their day zooms were bad (or at least worse than to a significant level). So many spent a greater part of their photographic experience shooting with primes. Just as many dislike the angles of view that crop sensors give; many dislike using primes - its not a "this is better than that" its a case that they are more comfortable with what they know and grew up with.

Prime VS zoom - in the end its really going to come down to you; your budget, your situation, what and how you like shooting etc... Put your criteria on the table and see how things line up for you. Heck if you want you can always use a zoom like a prime, just don't touch the zoom control.

camz said:

I do agree that manufacturers need to make zooms faster

Not when you see the price you don't. You willing to pay $25,000 for a 24-70 f1.4?

camz said:

I don't see it that way. I guess by now it's just instinct for me where to position myself during a wedding(I worry about lighting more than focal length). I find it more of a burden missing moments with the slower zooms - especially at weddings(where they usually don't allow flash).

As KMH brought up, it's about anticipation - positioning yourself and composing the shot are the remedies. Can't really do anything about a scenario where there isn't enough light to work with especially when you flash is not allowed. If focal length does become an issue...bam! 10 second lens change to another prime that fits the scenario :D

camz said:

First zoom ever invented was your own two feet.

I think primes can help you to become a better photographer, but it certainly is not a hard and fast rule!

In recent times, I have discovered that if you use a zoom lens and really begin to think about the focal length you are using you can get fantastic results using a zoom lens. Now I analyse each scene I come across when using a zoom lens, first I try to decide on the best positioning by using my feet and then secondly I decide on the focal length which will work best for the situation. I know the 18mm setting will emphasise the foreground and make the focal points I see with my eyes much smaller, I know if I use the 55mm setting I will get a more compressed look to my photograph and the focal points I see with my own eyes will be emphasised in the final photo. IMO, doing both these things will take you away from being a lazy zoomer and makes using a zoom just as effective as using a prime lens.

The problem with many zoom users is they let the zoom do the talking, they stand and zoom zoom zoom and expect good photos not even thinking about perspective or the impression they wish to give the viewer. If you get out of this habit you will find your photos will come alive and you will also find a zoom much more flexible than a prime for general walking about.

Most reactions

Back