Primes vs Zooms Discussion

High quality zooms are more than acceptable for most photographic applications. You will run into limitations where their quality may dissipate with either end of focal lengths or aperature settings. Also zooms tend to be slower than top end primes. If you find you always seem to be running into the "softer" areas of your zooms range, or you need more leeway in camera settings. A prime may be what you need. Now if your in a situation where you need the absolute best immage possible. Primes would be the answer.

I started out with zooms just due to finances. I bought the best zooms availalbe at the time. This gave me a wide range to shoot with for the least cost. And as time went on, I then added primes just to increase the quality. If you would look into my "go" bags. You will find 3 zooms and 3 primes. So, I say I am 50/50.

And always remember. You can zoom a prime (in most cases). Just move closer or farther back!

For trips and traveling, I think zoom lenses have a far more important role than primes since you don't need to fiddle around switching lens and not to mention the weight factor (they all add up). I know most photographers hate and would not be caught dead with a 11x zoom lens, but personally I'm a big fan of the 18-200 as it covers most focal lengths at a price of-course. I take that plus my 50mm 1.8 and I'm pretty covered for most situations.

For any gigs (portraits, weddings) I believe primes are the best to work with as they give you the speed and can operate in low light conditions without too much fuss, although most photographers will run a 70-200 2.8 zoom on a second body just to catch guests which might be away from the action.

Guess I'm 50/50 as I own one telephoto lens and one prime.

I'm writing a review about the 24-120 as a travel lens. Its bloody brilliant :)

I own the trifecta of Canon L zooms. 16-35 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8 & 70-200 f2.8. They are all sharp glass and are wonderful for the convenience of the zooms. With that said, whenever I can, I use one of my primes. They are all just a bit sharper that then the zooms. My lens decision comes down to two criteria in this exact order. 1. What will allow me to get the shot? 2. What will give me the best quality for the shot? If I need the convenience of a zoom I choose it. If I can get the shot with a prime, I take the prime. If I can't get the shot, the quality of the lens on the body is meaningless. However if I can get the shot, I want the best possible quality I can get. Just my take on the matter.

Okay so as in my sig I've got the 24-70L HOWEVER it's a bit of a HUGE lens. In terms of size and weight it's something I can't really take around with me if, let's say, I go on a trip. I'd be reluctant to take it with me.

This brings me to why I'm considering buying a prime. Smaller in size, but the one thing holding me back is the overlapping mm's. I've got a 24-70, is it then useless for me to buy let's say the 35L, 50 1.4 ? Those would really be the only I'd look at for a trip scenario.

Whereas the other option is to get the wide angle zoom (17-40 f4L).

What do you think. Are primes worth it for any reason with my current setup? What benefits would I find? I do studio shoots which is why I like the 24-70 for the flexibility but should I consider selling it and getting 2 primes? i.e the 35L and 85 or 135?

Thanks guys.

If schlepping the 24-70 around while traveling is your main concern, why not pickup something like a Tamron 17-55mm? My Tamron 17-55 is just as sharp as my 24-70L, but it doesn't focus as fast. The size of this lens isn't much bigger than a 50mm 1.4 but it is more flexible as a walkaround lens.

If you are set on primes, the 50mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.8 non-L lenses are EXCELLENT and you shouldn't count them out because they aren't L-series lenses.

i would argue that because primes are mechanically limited, photographers are challenged to find new perspectives ideas and expand creativity. i will admit, however, that primes can be limiting as well.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back