Print donation sign up sheet - all proceeds go to charity!

Ah, let me translate
"Balance your check book" is American for "Balance your cheque book"

Its actually just making sure you all the checks you wrote are accounted for and you have the right amount of money in your account.

The problem with that saying is that not many people use cheques anymore, at least not like they use to. With the creation of debit cards its harder to keep track of your money and easier to spend it.

Im not sure how many people do this, but I keep a spreadsheet of my finances so I have an idea of what I have. And I keep seperate worksheets for credit card uses so I can double check my bill when I get it to make sure theres been no errors/fraud. But ive been slacking on that one.

I think were a bit off topic, hehe.

GerryDavid said:
The problem with that saying is that not many people use cheques anymore, at least not like they use to. With the creation of debit cards its harder to keep track of your money and easier to spend it.
I don't use the debit card unless I can help it. The "holds" take up too much balance! Ok, for those who don't know what I mean. When you use a debit card before a final balance is computed - like at a gas station or hotel or a resturaunt or such as that - the company authorizes your card for the expected amount of purchase plus up to $100 (or more on big ticket stuff). This allows them to ensure that you have enough balance to cover your meal plus tip or the hotel room plus and an extra night's stay, etc. The problem is that with a debit card that means you no longer have access to that balance until they release the hold (and some companies have been caught actually taking the cash and not releasing it at all). For example, the local gas station puts $100 holds on transactions. That means if you and your significant other both use the debit card and fill up the tank once a week you have holds of $600 in 3 weeks!!!!

GerryDavid said:
I think were a bit off topic, hehe.

Nothing wrong with hijaking a thread!:crazy:

I just wanted to say thanks for the participation so far...at a minimum, we'll be donating $120 and we still have quite a bit of time left on the auctions that are currently running.

Thanks all!

Chase said:
I just wanted to say thanks for the participation so far...at a minimum, we'll be donating $120 and we still have quite a bit of time left on the auctions that are currently running.

Thanks all!

Yeah!

I just wish I had titled my shot something else. There is another "fallen flowers" print by someone else that has a thumbnail photo and I think that is hurting my views. Oh well, life goes on.

Jeff you're a champ!! :hug::

and the other's who've bid... you're champs too! :hug::

LizM said:
Yeah!

I just wish I had titled my shot something else. There is another "fallen flowers" print by someone else that has a thumbnail photo and I think that is hurting my views. Oh well, life goes on.

You can change the auction title and body until there is 24 hours left or if you have a bidder. Once those happen you can just add to the auction body, not sure about the title.

LizM said:
I don't use the debit card unless I can help it. The "holds" take up too much balance! Ok, for those who don't know what I mean. When you use a debit card before a final balance is computed - like at a gas station or hotel or a resturaunt or such as that - the company authorizes your card for the expected amount of purchase plus up to $100 (or more on big ticket stuff). This allows them to ensure that you have enough balance to cover your meal plus tip or the hotel room plus and an extra night's stay, etc. The problem is that with a debit card that means you no longer have access to that balance until they release the hold (and some companies have been caught actually taking the cash and not releasing it at all). For example, the local gas station puts $100 holds on transactions. That means if you and your significant other both use the debit card and fill up the tank once a week you have holds of $600 in 3 weeks!!!!

Nothing wrong with hijaking a thread!:crazy:

The only hold that I know of here is at the gas station and its $75cdn. And I think that only lasts an hour or something, because who stays at a pump for very long? And the nicer resteraunts ive been to dont hold anything on the credit card before the meal. I simply go and pay for the meal after we eat, for the actual total. Ive never heard of them prepaying for the meal.

I rarely use my debit card, only in those rare times that the store doesnt allow credit cards. In Canada, the banks that I know of require you to have $1500cdn or something in the checking account before you get free transactions and skip the fee's. So a dollar or something for each interac is rather expensive. Especially when I can use my credit card and skip the fee's all together. Plus I can have a chance at the "win what you buy". And this way I dont have to worry about nsf either, hehe.

I want to find a nice credit card with rewards in either cash back or points or something. Then use it to pay every monthly bill that I can like groceries, internet bill, phone bill, rent if I can, morgage payments perhaps once I get a house, if I can etc. May as well get the most for the dollar.

I know... I don't get it either alecia.
We don't do have that hold thing in Australia. Can anyone explain why you do it?

fadingaway1986 said:
why do the petrol stations hold money?

that doesn't make sense

They do this when you pay at the pump, not at the cashier.

An example would be at 2am, the station is closed but the pumps are going. You have a credit limit of $1000 but have $980 used on your credit card, or you only have $20 in your bank account. Then you put $40 of gas in your tank. If you were to pay for it after you pumped it, they cant get thier other $20 that you owe, what is the machine going to do? This is why they have authorize a $75 hold.

They do the prepay so you can get up to that limit of gas. If you dont have $75 in the bank account here you have to go into the station to pay after you get the gas if thier open. If thier not you cant get gas. At least thats how it works here. Ive heard of american machines taking paper money but they dont do that in Ontario, as far as I know.

Well - when you swipe, slide, scan (whatever you call it when you use your card) in the pump before pumping the machine checks your balance before approving you to pump gas. As they don't know how much you will get, they place the hold of $100 on the account to make sure you have at least that much in the account in case you pump $100 worth of gas/petrol. (and with gas the way it's going - we may get to it costing that much to fill up soon)

The resturants are even trickier. The server brings you the tab and you hand them your card. When they bring it back you fill out the tip and sign and then go home. Well, what you don't know is that when they scanned the card for the amount of the meal before bringing you the receipt, they authorized up to 30% more than the bill in case you leave a tip. That way they can be assured you have enough to cover whatever amount you may add to the bill to cover the tip. Some places go back and fix it - some don't. Always check your statements/bills.

Hmm odd.

Well, here it works...

You fill up, you go in and pay. If the station isn't open, you can't get it from there.

I have never heard of what you are talking about, so they mustn't do that in Australia. (Ha, good thing too, they wouldn't be able to hold that much money, cause I don't have that much)

Most reactions

Back